Notices

Non skid

Old 05-06-2011, 09:56 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Non skid

I'm getting ready to redo (paint) the non slip surface on my swim platform. Anybody have a good product to recommend ? Thanks.
Old 05-06-2011, 12:03 PM
Registered

Received 1,489 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by tinman565
I'm getting ready to redo (paint) the non slip surface on my swim platform. Anybody have a good product to recommend ? Thanks.
Seen a lot on this and need to do the same along my sides of the deck. Check in Fiberglass and paint section for more info. Good luck.
John
Old 05-06-2011, 04:45 PM
Registered

I was gonna ask about it in the other section, but I thought I'd get more answers/attention here. If you find out anything..please let me know sir.
Old 05-06-2011, 05:01 PM
Registered

Received 282 Likes on 170 Posts

IMO the best product out there is gibco flexmold, which MAS epoxies offers thru their website. You can contact gibco directly though. They have a patented product and have replicated the non skid pattern of almost every single manufacturer. They basically give you a mold to use with gelcoat that completely restores the non skid. MAS epoxies has a video of the whole process on their website that shows you how to do it yourself. Very cool product and priced reasonably. IMO its the only way to go for repairing nonskid.
Old 05-06-2011, 05:59 PM
Registered

Received 1,489 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by TexomaPowerboater
IMO the best product out there is gibco flexmold, which MAS epoxies offers thru their website. You can contact gibco directly though. They have a patented product and have replicated the non skid pattern of almost every single manufacturer. They basically give you a mold to use with gelcoat that completely restores the non skid. MAS epoxies has a video of the whole process on their website that shows you how to do it yourself. Very cool product and priced reasonably. IMO its the only way to go for repairing nonskid.
Good info. will need it soon and will look into it. I have about a 6" strip of it pretty much from rear seats forward and only got into a little of it during my restoration, reconstruction project. But certainly not enough to strip the whole thing plus I kind of like it. It's saved me a few times.
Old 05-06-2011, 07:22 PM
Registered

Thanks for the info. Mine looks more like a painted on gritty type surface. I was planning on sanding it fairly smooth, taping the area off...then rolling it on. Does that sound right ? I'll call that MAS company monday, but I got a feeling that the nonskid "pattern" they sell (in the size I need) will be about$300-$400...and thats not including the gel. The prices looked a little high (in my opinion only) when I saw they wanted $44 for a 6" plastic squeegee !!
Old 05-06-2011, 09:56 PM
Registered

LineX dont know if you have any line x dealers by you but my buddy had his swimplatform sprayed for $100. bucks, looks great, very tough , he backed into a dock and not one crack, and non skid, line x also came out with a new spray that will adhere to wood , i am thinkin of havin my teak platform done to modernise the boat
Old 05-07-2011, 02:42 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did my swim platform a couple years ago and bought a non skid additive to put in the paint. West marine sells it- http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...9017&langId=-1

I've been VERY happy with it, my painter primed, sprayed 1 coat of just paint, spayed 2 coats with the additive added, and 1 last quick shot of just paint after. Here's a link to the build- http://www.seriousoffshore.com/forum...?t=5901&page=2

Pictures are in there if you want to check them out.
Old 05-07-2011, 05:43 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

interlux sells a paint just for non skid, never used that but have and getting ready again use is rustoleum..don't laugh it's great paint !! flows out great and is durable as hell...just did my 253 engine compartment with it !!! the platform is next...it's already lineX ed and want to change from black to red....see how that works out soon....
Old 05-08-2011, 10:04 AM
Registered

Use interlux intergrip additive in paint or gel that matches. I've had great results using it. mix it with imron paint that maches your boat and then roll it on. (A simple organic vapor filter respirator like you get at the hardware store is fine for this if you're not spraying.)

http://www.jamestowndistributors.com...-Skid+Additive