Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
got ripped off on some parts and machine work, need advice.. >

got ripped off on some parts and machine work, need advice..

Notices

got ripped off on some parts and machine work, need advice..

Old 05-10-2011, 10:37 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have bought and traded things with Rob and was allways treated well. He is alittle hard to get on the phone because he,s hands on always in the shop.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:40 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by jbraun2828
Sounds like he's back peddling to me. Why is it so hard to make things right the first time? Funny how peoples phones start working again when their name gets on this site. Also why would someone not get a call back if it came from a restricted #
If the no.s restricted HELLO what no do you CALL BACK
Old 05-11-2011, 07:23 AM
Platinum Member

OK...did a little research this morning...found the notes from last november on what we did... When I personally delivered the exhauxt manifolds and valve train to Cam's house in Rochester I realised, like lots of people in this world including myself, Cam is boating on a budget. I brought more parts than he expected and he did not have all the money at the house....so I left the parts and let him owe me.
The head work we discussed in his garage was to clean, leak check and do what was necessary to make them right including hyd. roller double springs and proper retainers. The seats looked good and everything leak checked perfect. So... 2 hours labor for that and installing new seals and setting spring hts. to match the cam @ $75/hour is $150 plus hyd. roller double springs, retainers and seals was $150...thats $300 for heads ready to install and run perfect ! Normally a complete head overhaul with springs is about $600.
The cam, lifters, pushrods, and timing gear set for $500 is all good stuff and worth that all day...the cam itself is like NEW and costs $375 at dealer cost.
The retainer to seal clearance is tight but fine....it will never touch....GUARENTEED !!!
Did he mention the BRAND NEW...still in the box roller rockers for $150
Maybe no more tryin to help somebody out....comes back to bite you !!!
Old 05-11-2011, 07:29 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by jbraun2828
Sounds like he's back peddling to me. Why is it so hard to make things right the first time? Funny how peoples phones start working again when their name gets on this site. Also why would someone not get a call back if it came from a restricted #
Back peddling??? The job was done last year...I had to look up the work sheet to remember! People that know nothing about me putting their two cents in! Thank you for that !
Old 05-11-2011, 07:40 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Rob- you should know better than to cut corners for anyone and leave your name on it, if that is the case.

However, listing what you sold him and what a good deal he may or may have not got on them does not mean much. Is he expected to be a happy customer if he has products he can't use just because he got a good deal? Should he have just took the chance that it would work just fine because you said it might? A reputable engine builder should never make a statement saying "It is out of spec, but it will work just fine" IMO if it is not exactly right in a high performance marine apllication you will find out very quickly. Just because he is on a budget doesn't mean he should get inferior service. It is your job as a engine builder to talk guys up to doing it the right way or don't do it at all.

Some of he complaints may be just knit picking, however he has some real concerns.

We all make mistakes, it is what we do to correct our mistakes that builds a reputation.

If the parts were such a good deal you should have no problem buying them back from him and resellling them
Old 05-11-2011, 08:27 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by HTGMotorsports
OK...did a little research this morning...found the notes from last november on what we did... When I personally delivered the exhauxt manifolds and valve train to Cam's house in Rochester I realised, like lots of people in this world including myself, Cam is boating on a budget. I brought more parts than he expected and he did not have all the money at the house....so I left the parts and let him owe me.
The head work we discussed in his garage was to clean, leak check and do what was necessary to make them right including hyd. roller double springs and proper retainers. The seats looked good and everything leak checked perfect. So... 2 hours labor for that and installing new seals and setting spring hts. to match the cam @ $75/hour is $150 plus hyd. roller double springs, retainers and seals was $150...thats $300 for heads ready to install and run perfect ! Normally a complete head overhaul with springs is about $600.
The cam, lifters, pushrods, and timing gear set for $500 is all good stuff and worth that all day...the cam itself is like NEW and costs $375 at dealer cost.
The retainer to seal clearance is tight but fine....it will never touch....GUARENTEED !!!
Did he mention the BRAND NEW...still in the box roller rockers for $150
Maybe no more tryin to help somebody out....comes back to bite you !!!
Yep, you told me you would grind the valves that needed it, no argument there.

Yep you brought more stuff than you told me, so I didn’t have all the cash on me, I owed you $300 but you were taking my heads with you which are worth that much at least so its not like you were going to lose money if I didn’t come up with the cash.

Yep, new roller rockers for $150, they are ohio crankshaft roller rockers, I can buy them for $139 right from ohio crankshaft s website ,so don’t try to make it sound like you sold me $300 cranes for $150. I’m sure you get dealer cost from them also, so you probly made money on them, which I have no issue with either.

BUT, did you see the pics of these heads, nothing was cleaned on any of the valves. Leak checked and checked perfect?? How did you check them?

That’s funny because I poured kerosene in the intake and exhaust ports, in less than 30 seconds about half the valves were dripping kerosene out of the chamber and onto my bench. There wasn’t one single valve that didn’t leak kerosene in less than one minute.

I called summit racing and bought a spring compressor and lapping compound, I pulled out the valves and lapped one heads worth of valves, the seats would not clean up all the way around on many chambers which confirmed why they leaked kerosene. I never bothered lapping the other head since I knew that they would need all the seats cut to seal right. This is why they are at another shop right now getting re-worked…

Again, how did you set spring height? Not one single shim in any of these valve springs?

.007” clearance from seal to retainer at full lift is good in your book? Why do crane and comp cams all tell you to have min of .060” clearance? Why would they say a min of .060” if .007” is good to go???

There wasn’t one single intake valve in these heads that had the minimum of .060” clearance that the cam manufacturers recommend. Some of the exhaust valves met min clearance though so I’ll give you that….

2 wrong length pushrods also. all i can say is if i just took these parts just as i got them from you and put it together the first time it went WFO something was gonna blow up.
Old 05-11-2011, 08:44 AM
Registered

hell, you can even see in these pics i took where the exhaust valve seat is sealing off and where its not. its sealed from about 1:00 to 7:00 the rest of it is not sealing.

the intake seat goes away about 3:00

Old 05-11-2011, 11:12 AM
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by 4bus
Rob- you should know better than to cut corners for anyone and leave your name on it, if that is the case.

However, listing what you sold him and what a good deal he may or may have not got on them does not mean much. Is he expected to be a happy customer if he has products he can't use just because he got a good deal? Should he have just took the chance that it would work just fine because you said it might? A reputable engine builder should never make a statement saying "It is out of spec, but it will work just fine" IMO if it is not exactly right in a high performance marine apllication you will find out very quickly. Just because he is on a budget doesn't mean he should get inferior service. It is your job as a engine builder to talk guys up to doing it the right way or don't do it at all.

Some of he complaints may be just knit picking, however he has some real concerns.

We all make mistakes, it is what we do to correct our mistakes that builds a reputation.

If the parts were such a good deal you should have no problem buying them back from him and resellling them
I give up here....don't know who you are??? I offered to do a valve job at no cost to make ammends.....but that is not the issue now! Cam has ordered a bigger cam, morell lifters and new springs and wants to run the motor to 5800rpm! This was not the plan in november....Hope he does'nt have reversion issues...If he wanted to go to a bigger cam I would have traded up for him....selling his used parts would be an easy sale except he just told the world its all junk!
I have a great reputation for standing behind mistakes.... don't know what I can do here...can't win with you guys... SORRY!
Old 05-11-2011, 12:36 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by HTGMotorsports
I give up here....don't know who you are??? I offered to do a valve job at no cost to make ammends.....but that is not the issue now! Cam has ordered a bigger cam, morell lifters and new springs and wants to run the motor to 5800rpm! This was not the plan in november....Hope he does'nt have reversion issues...If he wanted to go to a bigger cam I would have traded up for him....selling his used parts would be an easy sale except he just told the world its all junk!
I have a great reputation for standing behind mistakes.... don't know what I can do here...can't win with you guys... SORRY!
As I said a few times, if you would have simply returned my 6+ messages I left over the last 2 weeks then you wouldn’t be in this position. You left me no choice but to go elsewhere to get these heads done right since you wouldn’t talk to me on the phone, or respond to emails about this…

I cant take you up on the “free” valve job, the heads are at another shop as I have said a few times already.

If you want to make it right send me a check for $300 for the head work, send me 2 proper length push rods, send me the good used roller lifters. I’ll send you back these 2 pushrods, the valve springs, and the lifters I have now. Its that simple to make it right.

Whether or not I ordered a bigger cam has ZERO to do with this situation, the valves still would leak, the clearance still wasn’t right for the cam they were set up for, the pushrods are still mismatched, and the lifters are still worn. Tell me how me using a different cam would change ANY of these issues?
Old 05-11-2011, 03:27 PM
Registered

Received 1,491 Likes on 806 Posts

Cam,
I took a little time to read this over and am seeing both sides however I would simple call HGT and make an appt to drive out there and get it settled. I have bought a ton of parts used and new. Even new have had issues with. It's all part of the deal. Just some worse than others. The main thing is that you get it handled and move on. Good luck with your new set up. Hopefully we'll all have nice warm boating season. It was hailing out here in NW MI the size of golf balls an hour ago. LOL... Take care.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.