Which heads are better >

Which heads are better

Notices

Which heads are better

Old 05-10-2011, 08:27 AM
Registered

Received 44 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Which heads are better

I dropped a valve seat on my motor and now I have to rebuild it. I am debating between a couple sets of heads. My heads were 048 castings that had some port work done to them with 118 cc and 2.25 int valves. I have a set of Gen 6 vortec heads with 100cc and 2.19 valves. Both sets would have to be sent to the machine shop and get checked out as well as the old ones would need a new valve seat. Which heads does everyone think are the better of the 2? My motor with the 048 heads and a small dome piston with a Bob M. hydraulic roller cam made 450 hp on the dyno. If I use the the vortec heads I will need to get flat tops which will lower my compression from 9.6 down to 9. I am also looking at a set of stock oval heads that have just been redone with very little time on them for around the same price as it would cost to get any of these checked out and redone. The simple question is are the vortec better or are the standard ovals just as good? I would like to get a nice set of aftermarket heads but since I have to rebuild the motor again my funds just won't allow it so I have stick with what I have or get a set of heads that cost about the same as redoing what I have.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:33 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink

Since you have been working with Bob @ RM Builders I would ask him that question. He has very good knowledge and information on all types and models of BBC heads and he would be an excellent person to ask.

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Old 05-10-2011, 12:32 PM
Registered

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

I have a set of World Products Merlin Iron Oval 270's that have been ported with Manley valves, Stainless intake, Inconel exhaust, Isky springs, and Crower steel roller rockers. I just pulled them off of my 522, I'm switching to the AFR 315's. I also have a Bodix HV intake and BG850 to go with it. If your interested PM me, I haven't decided what there worth yet. My engine dyno'ed at 550hp and 600ftlb with a decent roller cam. I'm also talking to Bob about my upgrade
Old 05-10-2011, 05:55 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

My guess is the vortecs will produce more torque throughout the powerband. But since you already have 048 heads that would be your cheapest option.
Old 05-11-2011, 02:23 PM
Registered

I have been doing some research and talking with Bob M. and it looks like the vortec heads aren't as good as my current heads. The vortecs are 100cc with smaller 2.06 and 1.75 valves and flow 254 int and 165 exh.
Old 05-12-2011, 01:32 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The Vortecs are restrictive in stock form. I want what say mine were flowed @ 286 on the intake, don’t remember on the exhaust. Bob once told me he got 468hp out of a 454, with his cam, opened up vortecs & wet exhaust. The Vortecs also need rotators when running bigger cams that add to the cost so they aren’t necessarily the cheapest option when it comes to OEM heads. What do those 048’s flow?
Old 05-12-2011, 04:24 PM
Registered

I don't know. I haven't had them flowed. I am thinking about getting them flowed when I get them redone.