Water in Engine oil Please help

Notices

Water in Engine oil Please help

Old 05-19-2011, 01:02 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pantera232
I sent heads off for pressure testing today..
Did find a couple valve guide seals broken (they were crushed and springs popped out on exhaust cylinders..)
I ordered new head bolts... $44 Napa Yes dogturd21 we used waterprooof caulk on every head bolt and yes they do go through to water jackets... When we installed cometic gasket we didnt put bonding agent on block or heads which we should have, but we didnt seem to see a head leak, regardless im using a marine gasket next round.
Cometic head gaskets are installed dry.
Old 05-19-2011, 09:34 PM
Registered

We got pressure test back one exhaust guide was leaking but head shop doesnt think that is the problem he thinks it would burn off, should have heads back tomarrow and then we did pressure test assembled
Old 05-20-2011, 08:43 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by pantera232
We got pressure test back one exhaust guide was leaking but head shop doesnt think that is the problem he thinks it would burn off, should have heads back tomarrow and then we did pressure test assembled
Exhaust guide would leak oil, you are looking for water right?

did he notice any water spots on any particular valves? Should be easy to notice with salt water use.

How does the engine run? the reason I ask these questions is to see if the water is leaking into the combustion chamber or directly into the lifter galley and down to the pan.
Old 05-20-2011, 09:38 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by 4bus
Exhaust guide would leak oil, you are looking for water right?

The exhaust guides go through the water jacket on a big block, and they do leak, especially if they've been replaced at one time or another. Doubtful that's his issue though, unless it were leaking to the top side, under the valve cover. I'd be looking close at head and intake gaskets.
Old 05-21-2011, 11:18 PM
Registered

We go heads pressure checked and there perfect , installed them with new marine gasket. sealed the **** out of new head bolts, and new marine intake gasket, pressure checked with 3o-40 psi with oil pan off.. no leaks. im going to get it running on engine stand at a higher rpm and let it run for a good bit to make sure no problems before putting back in boat for final time.. lmao...

So with a upgraded cam what is the recommed idle rpm and lowest in gear rpm to run and not allow reversion..
Old 05-22-2011, 09:27 AM
Registered

Location: Omaha, Nebraska. Boat on the Mighty Mo! Longest river in the USA!
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

I thought I read earlier in this thread you had a Mandra cam?
If you worked with him and told him everything he asked I dought you you have reversion. I don't think I have ever heard of anyone have that problem with one of his cams.

There is no way you are getting 1/2 to a quart of water thru piston rings. Reversion or valve guides. With that much water it has to be leaking somewhere.

Hopefully you got it all sealed up and it runs great this time.
Old 05-22-2011, 11:02 PM
Registered

please keep posting.I am going through exact same scenario.Everything you are doing,I have done! I am going to run mine on stand with automotive headers and see what happens. I have Eddie Marine Thunder exhaust. 60 hours on build with that same green snot that you described. mounted torque plate and pressurized to 100p.s.i. and no leaks! I have Merlin heads. Machine shop said no problems with heads.
Old 05-23-2011, 08:06 PM
Registered

Sidney i feel you it must be a 1989 boat think. lol
We ran it today on stand it sounds great and oil is clean, were putting in boat tomarrow.. The problem should be solved we still don't know where we were getting leak.
Could have been automotive intake manifold gasket instead of stock, old head bolts, or cometic head gasket on a not resurfaced block, WE still have to run in water all day before you truly know its a done deal...
Old 05-26-2011, 08:11 PM
Registered

Pant era, I was wondering if you have run the boat yet? I was curious how it ran and if there was any water intrusion in your oil? I have not got mine back in yet. Please let me know?
Old 05-27-2011, 07:47 PM
Registered

It seemed good on dip stick after 2 hour ride, then i took off valve cover and saw milky oil not as bad as first time but that was a 6 hour ride, then i pumped it all out and it was all milky.... So i welded some ****ing 3"dia stainless steel pipes that are 10" long and installed them then i ran that ***** on trailer and took a flash light with motor off and saw beads of water up the 10" new exhaust pipe and even damp up to 90 degree riser.. I am 95% sure it reversion, so i changed oil and filter and going to run this weekend, ill let you know , but i think we found her, after i ripped my motor in half and replaced a new cometic head gasket/ did a head pressure test/ pressure on block/ and almost beat my head into the concrete with a $3500 upgrade with milky oil ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.