Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
I need some replacement coupler info! >

I need some replacement coupler info!

Notices

I need some replacement coupler info!

Old 05-19-2011, 08:32 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I need some replacement coupler info!

I need a new coupler for my 1990 454 MAG in my Baja, hp should be around 475hp. What one is the good one to use in this application?

After doing some searchs most of the info I found was several years old and it seems like some part #’s are discontinued, or superseded now so some help would be appreciated to find out what the current good setup is!

I cant go with the extended snout one as I’m pretty sure I don’t have the room to get it in the boat since I had to remove all my pulleys and water pump just to gain enough room to pull the motor out of this boat with the stock short snout coupler on it.

The one I pulled out after 500 hours is all aluminum housing that bolts to the flywheel and it has an aluminum center spline that was just about ready to let loose as the splines are all pointed and sharp. What reason would merc have for using an aluminum spline on these?? The weight is so close to the center that it wouldnt seem like they did it for weight purposes? Was it for corrosion reasons so they don’t seize to the driveshaft if you become lazy with your grease intervals?

I’m thinking I want to go to a steel splined coupler since it would last longer i assume if theres not any downfalls to going that route?

Also if anyone knows where I can get this new coupler at a reasonable price that would help! Most of the ones I see listed on many websites say “replaces part#xxx” so I’m sure those aren’t OEM Merc couplers? I assume the non OEM ones aren’t as durable since the price looks to be about $200 less?

Thanks!
Old 05-19-2011, 10:46 AM
Registered

I would get the one that bolts in all the way around. Not the one with the ears. Also if you call on one the snout is called the "dick" so you want one without the dick.
All BBC couplers that are the full circle mount will work for you.
I have found them on c list for 150.00 a used one will work as long as all the teeth are on the spline.
Old 05-19-2011, 10:58 AM
Registered

the one i have now bolts all the way around the flywheel, no ears on it!

to bad theres no way to just press in the new rubber with the new spline in it instead of having to replace it all!
Old 05-19-2011, 12:56 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Price comes with quality.
http://www.cpperformance.com/p-14484...o-coupler.aspx
Old 05-19-2011, 08:39 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by picklenjim

any idea if that has a aluminum or steel splined center insert??
Old 05-19-2011, 09:00 PM
Registered

The one that pickle linked is alum.
Old 05-19-2011, 10:55 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

That appears to be the best coupler your going to find. It's sold by Keith Eickert, Teague, Hardin and CP. Are you sure they even make them with a steel spline center? Yours may have been out of alignment which caused the wear. 475 hp isn't that much compaired to what some of these guys throw at them.
Old 05-20-2011, 06:39 AM
Registered

i thought they made a short one like mine in steel, along with the long one in steel also.

as for alignment, i had it checked last year and the guy said it was good, he didnt need to adjust it so i really dont know what caused all the wear.

i have no idea if the previous owner had it aligned sometime recently before i bought it and ran it years out of spec or not? i honestly woiuld say i dont think that coupler would have made it though another season judging by the wear on the splines, at least half the area was worn away

of course another thought could be that it really was out of alignment, but since the splines were worn so much the tool went in ok making it appear that alignment was good when i had it checked??