Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Trim gauge not working >

Trim gauge not working

Notices

Trim gauge not working

Old 05-26-2011, 07:56 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Me too if possible, ive been out there for an hour trying to figure my trim gauge out and it just wont work. Ive got 3 wires off the motor
brown/white w/ female
blue/brown w/ female

black w/male connector

and 2 pairs of black wores on the boat, one with 2 male connectors and one with a male and a female.

no orange wire....maybe thats my problem......may be buried somewhere

a wiring diagram i found somewher online says brown/white is trim sender and blue/brown is trailer switch

am i missing an orange wire somewhere?

[email protected]
Old 05-26-2011, 09:55 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,783 Likes on 884 Posts

Originally Posted by Redeye
I believe that we have those wire connected as the trime works properly.... just no gauge
Those wires are for the trim gauge sender to connect to the main harness.
Old 05-27-2011, 08:53 AM
Registered

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Blueabyss
Well on a 496 they are at the back of the engine at the top. Pretty sure 500 is the same . I know a 454 mpi is the same. I swappd out my 454mpi for a 496. There are several wires back there with bullet connectors. You are looking for an orange wire and a black wire coming out of the bundle. Both are female connectors. The trim sending units are on the gimble ring on the out drive. One on each side. Port side is the trim limit and starboard is the sending unit. Thats the one you are concerned with at this time. They are round discs with a set of wires each. Both wires are black. The wires run through the the gimble area and through the transom just above the bellows. Comes out in the boat just below the tiller arm the power steering is hooked to. Like I said there are 2 sets of wires. The trim limit switch wires go over to the trim pump area and have 1 male and one female connector. The trim sending unit wires you are concerned with go to to the back top of the motor and both have male connectors. If these wires are broken out on the out drive or if hooked up like I stated and the gauge still does not work then PM me for the fix.. Its a long one and more than one way to do it. Some will tell you the drive and gimble have to be removed but that is not the case. I replaced a set YESTERDAY. These have to be replaced in pairs.. Only way they are sold . You would be an idiot to not replace both anyway even if only one is bad.

Chris
UPDATE I stand corrected on the bullet connectors. The Trim sending unit wires that go up to the back of the motor have 1 male and 1 female connector. The trim limit wires that go over by the trim both have male bullet connectors. I do stand by the color for the trim sending connection color.1 wire went to an orange connector and the other was black. Thats on a 496 ho 2005. Hope that helps.

Chris
Old 05-27-2011, 09:11 AM
Registered

Dag I did see that wiring diagram you are talking about online. It did say brown/white stripe and black were the ones for the sender. Not the case on my 496 but it is prob worth a try. STAY AWAY FROM ANY PURPLE WIRES. Some purple wires have to do with the ignition. Best bet is go down to the shop and see if they will let you look at the manual for your specific motor and look at the schematic. Some larger west marines have manuals you can look at.

Chris
Old 05-27-2011, 12:53 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,783 Likes on 884 Posts

Purple is power on/hot when the ignition is on.
Old 05-27-2011, 05:09 PM
Registered

http://www.sterndrives.com/replacing_trim_senders2.html

This says brown with white stripe and black for sending unit.

Chris
Old 05-27-2011, 09:40 PM
Registered

Thanks for the update, mine does have the brown/white wire and it connects to the male/female set of black wires. After some messing around tonight I found its a bad sender, I took it apart and cleaned it and it kinda works now just inconsistent, think its time to change it....
Old 05-28-2011, 06:59 AM
Registered

Default Sender replacement

Dag.. I can PM you my # if you like and explain how to change it to over the phone in more detail. I would not mess with it if you are going out this wknd. It can be done with the drive and gimbal in place its just TRICKY .

Chris
Old 05-28-2011, 11:39 AM
Registered

If the sender wires are intact all you need to do is replace the potentiometer inside the sender.
It is a little known part Merc #805134A4
It costs between 15 and $20 and takes about 15 min to install.
Just follow the instructions closely to get it adjusted properly.

Here's one for $18.
http://www.crowleymarine.com/parts/14809.cfm

Last edited by lg260ss; 05-28-2011 at 11:43 AM.
Old 05-28-2011, 06:27 PM
Registered

Blueabyss,

Thanks for the offer, I may take you up on the offer if you can send me your #.

Was out today and it worked a couple times now its in the up position again. I was wondering if just replacing that piece on the inside of the sender would fix it? My wires all look good...not sure why it would work for a while and then stop, I cleaned all the contacts in there, seems like it would either work or not work....
I do want to get it working because its a new boat this year for me and im having trouble getting bow lift so I really cant "feel" when the trim is maxed out, have to look at the rooster tail and obviously dont want to damage the ujoints....or lose a pair of sunglasses turning my head around all the time.....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.