Ignition Module Problem >

Ignition Module Problem

Notices

Ignition Module Problem

Old 05-22-2011, 07:39 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ignition Module Problem

HERE IS A QUESTION FOR YOU ELECTRICAL GURU'S i HAVE BEEN RUNNING A SET OF HEI DISTRIBUTORS IN MY SCARAB,WITH BBCs WITH NO PROBLEMS. I PUT A SET OF NEW ENGINES IN THE BOAT LAST YEAR AND ALSO REPLACED THE OLD PRESTOLITE THREE WIRE ALTERNATORS WITH A NEWER SET OF AC DELCO SINGLE WIRE UNITS. ALL OF A SUDDEN I AM POPPING THE IGNITION MODULE ON THE STRB. ENGINE, I REPLACE IT AND IT RUNS FOR A SHORT TIME AND THE ENGINE QUITS, AND NO SPARK AGAIN. i AM THINKING THAT THE ONLY THING IN THE ELECTRICAL SYSTEM THAT IS DIFFERENT IS THE ALTERNATORS, KIND OF ACTS LIKE MAYBE A VOLTAGE SURGE OR SPIKE THAT IS BLOWING THE MODULE, PORT MOTOR WORKS PERFECT. i HAD BOTH OF THESE ALTERNATORS APART AND CHECKED THE BEARINGS, DIODES BRUSHES ETC. i DIDNT REPLACE THE REGULATORS, BUT USUALY THEY EITHER WORK OR THEY DONT. I HAVE USED A LOT OF THESE DISTRIBUTORS OVER THE YEARS FOR MARINE ENGINES, AND THEY HAVE ALWAYS WORKED FLAWLESSLY. ANY SUGGESTIONS OR HELP APPRECIATED.
Old 05-22-2011, 08:19 PM
Registered

Have of you thought of swapping distributors from engine to engine to verify if the problem is in the distributor or the wiring on the one engine?
Old 05-22-2011, 11:20 PM
Registered

The wiring on that engine is exactly the same as it was with the old motors and this distributor worked for three years with no problems. As I stated the only thing in the electrical system that isnt exactly the same are the alternators. Thanks for your input.
Old 05-23-2011, 02:22 PM
Registered

I am looking for some more feedback and suggestions to my ignition problem .