288 Sunsation. >

288 Sunsation.

Notices

288 Sunsation.

Old 05-24-2011, 12:07 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by soonenough
HAHA! Yes it will... My 01 32 with HO's saw a best of 84 all stock with labbed props. The boat was an absolute blast to drive!
I still have bruise on my arm, from my wife, knocking the chit outta me when I was trying to keep up!
Old 05-24-2011, 12:16 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 4bus
Pros-Sleek lines, Good quality, light layup, fairly fast per HP, you could tow it with a mid size SUV

Cons- Small and shallow, don't try to convince others you have a near 29' boat when it is in the water...looks like a 25. Boat flies through the air with anything more than 1 footers. It takes it well, but for some the rough water ride will have them scared $hittless (passengers)

A good freind of mine had one of the first and used to tie up to me when I owned a 29 outlaw. My boat dwarfed his. However he had a single 454 mag mpi with a whipple, ran mid 80's. My 29 with twin 454 mpi's was 15 mph slower and used much more fuel.

There is a 32 dom on our lake with twin 500 efi's that runs 90. I agree with the others, the Doms seem to be close in price and you will have a twin engine boat that will handle bigger water. But then you could just go with a 31 sonic and have a full head and a/c......it never ends

Whatever you do choose wisely, performance boats are not the easiest to move right now. Banks are tight, and 80 percent of the guys that would want to buy a 288 from you when you are done with it don't have their finances in order.
Thank you, that was great advise. I want something that makes moma a little more at ease in the heavier chop. As of now with a 18 degree deadrise its hell of a ride when you hit that un-suspecting wake @ 68 and I think she is a tad scared to go out unless we are just putting around.

So how much water will that 32 DOM draft? I plan on picking up a 1 ton truck before I buy a bigger boat, and since people seem to be giving away 8.1 Chevy duallys thats the truck I am planning on buying, so I won't have a issue towing. I am also guessing twins are a bit better at the dock, thats a big boat when its just Moma and I, so thats also something I need to consider. We run on typical WI lakes, I just don't want to buy something that limits my use of the boat.
Old 05-24-2011, 02:50 PM
Registered

My 35' Ex only draws 3ft on average, a 32 Dom should be about the same. Draft isn't usually the issue with these boats, it's finding a ramp that has facilities that will accommodate a 50+ft long rig. I don't know what lakes you boat on now, but that is a significant issue that you will have to consider prior to purchase- because it will come into play. The twins are great at the dock once you get used to them- especially in a non-staggered boat like the Dom. Being longer, the wind can be a bear when it starts blowing around the dock, but it's typically just the wife and I in our Ex and we do just fine. She backs the trailer in and I load the boat when it's time to pull out. We love the boat, but recognize it is a big-water boat and we use it accordingly. That's why I bought my little Malibu- it's older, but was cheap and is great when we just want to go mess around on the small lakes or ski. Different tools for different jobs! I imagine if you get the 32 you'll love it, but it's a significant step from what you have and it's important to consider all the variables before you get into it.
Old 05-24-2011, 03:47 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by stopdropanroll
Thank you, that was great advise. I want something that makes moma a little more at ease in the heavier chop. As of now with a 18 degree deadrise its hell of a ride when you hit that un-suspecting wake @ 68 and I think she is a tad scared to go out unless we are just putting around.

So how much water will that 32 DOM draft? I plan on picking up a 1 ton truck before I buy a bigger boat, and since people seem to be giving away 8.1 Chevy duallys thats the truck I am planning on buying, so I won't have a issue towing. I am also guessing twins are a bit better at the dock, thats a big boat when its just Moma and I, so thats also something I need to consider. We run on typical WI lakes, I just don't want to buy something that limits my use of the boat.
take the plung and get the 32....I love mine!!!! The girlfriend and I go out alot by ourselves with no issues docking (other than me getting use to the twin I/O this is my first power boat) pulled it with a F-250 at first and have a dodge dually now. the ford was fine but the dually is much better pulling AND on fuel
Old 05-24-2011, 03:50 PM
Registered

I know there is 28-32' running around the lakes I use and also have seen a 42' Sonic a time or two last summer. Madison Wi is pretty heavy with boating and most launches seem to be pretty nice, a few kinda sketchy, but mostly nice with deep docks. I need to find someone local with a 30+ twin and see if its really what I want to do.
Old 05-24-2011, 04:15 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by stopdropanroll
Thats always a option! I get mixed opinions from people on twins, some say they are fairly good on fuel vs. a single running hard, and some say stay with a single. I have never owned a twin nor have I owned a offshore boat, I want to buy it right the first time instead of needing to upgrade a few years down the road. Not sure about those 496's, seems to be another mix opinion on those as well. I know what ever I buy I wont be able to leave stock for too long but if it did close 80 stock it might make me happy enough for the water we use locally.
If you don't want to have to upgrade in a few years, go with the 32. You'll be much happier. Fuel wise, its not much worse than a single, do power to weight ratio. A newer 32, 2006 and up, with ho's will run low 80's all day long. Not too mention the benefits of a full head, much more cabin room, handling, handling around docks etc.....
Old 05-24-2011, 08:24 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 07DominatorSS
If you don't want to have to upgrade in a few years, go with the 32. You'll be much happier. Fuel wise, its not much worse than a single, do power to weight ratio. A newer 32, 2006 and up, with ho's will run low 80's all day long. Not too mention the benefits of a full head, much more cabin room, handling, handling around docks etc.....
I don't think he is shopping in the SS price range, no full head in the standard dominator
Old 05-24-2011, 09:54 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by cabin fever
I still have bruise on my arm, from my wife, knocking the chit outta me when I was trying to keep up!
Haha! I think I will be the one with the bruised arm this year!