Tighten to yield bolts - Re-use >

Tighten to yield bolts - Re-use

Notices

Tighten to yield bolts - Re-use

Old 05-26-2011, 08:47 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tighten to yield bolts - Re-use

I recently bought a 496HO which had been underwater. It sank whilst not running.

It sat for a while before I got it so had some corrosion.

I have pulled everything to bits and replaced lots of parts.

I am in Australia so parts availability has been scarce and most came for the US.

I machined the crank 10 thou and bored the block 30 thou. I put in new bearings, new pistons (forged) but reused the original rods and big end bolts and nuts mainly because I could not get replacements at the time and wanted the boat going for our summer.

I used new head bolts as they were easy to source.

In assembly I had to tension the big end bolts several times as I had to remove the crank twice.

My questions are:

Does anyone have experience in re-using these original mercruiser conrod bolts which are intended for single use? If so with what results?

Are the nuts and bolts available separately anywhere?

The motor is in stock form (new original lifters, cam etc) other than the 30 thou oversize forged pistions.

I would hate for it to fly to bits because of a cheap part. I am considering replacing the rods (if the original bolts are not available separately) and any suggestions on availability, part numbers, suppliers for suitable rods would be appreciated.
Old 05-26-2011, 09:26 PM
Registered

Might try www.jegs.com or summitracing.com not a marina but tons of race stuff i have bought plenty of stuff from both some for boat some for cars they might have what you are looking for
Old 05-26-2011, 10:21 PM
Registered

ARP makes all sorts of bolts for hi performance engines- I am sure they have something for you. Check the ARP catalog.
Old 05-26-2011, 10:22 PM
Registered

I have built a lot of motors with torque to yeild bolts, mostly automotive. I usually replace anything on the rotating assembly, but have bypassed replacing the head bolts (TQ to yeild.) For peace of mind, i would plan on replacing them at the end of the season, unless they were hardened aftermarket bolts/studs.
Old 05-27-2011, 12:33 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink

You can purchase new nuts for the rod bolts as GM recommends from any Chevrolet-GMC truck dealer parts of GM Parts Direct.com. as rod bot nuts for any 2500-3500 series truck with the 8.1Liter engine. ( same basic engine as GM Powertrain supplies to Mercury.
They are angle torque spec'd but you can torque them to 53 ft/lbs with lube safely with a good calibrated torque wrench.

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Old 05-29-2011, 10:48 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Raylar
You can purchase new nuts for the rod bolts as GM recommends from any Chevrolet-GMC truck dealer parts of GM Parts Direct.com. as rod bot nuts for any 2500-3500 series truck with the 8.1Liter engine. ( same basic engine as GM Powertrain supplies to Mercury.
They are angle torque spec'd but you can torque them to 53 ft/lbs with lube safely with a good calibrated torque wrench.

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Can you get the bolts as well or only the nuts? I would have thought the bolts would break after stretching too much and didn't think the nuts would fail?

Also I looked on teh GMParts Direct site and could not find the bolts as a separate item, - only with the conrod assembly. Am I looking in the wrong spot?

Thanks for your help and can I just say Ray from Raylar, I have read heaps of your posts on the 496 and your product knowledge is unreal! Keep up the informative posts because I for one certainly appreciate it.
Old 05-30-2011, 06:35 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Definitely don't re-use them. You're right, they stretch.
Old 05-30-2011, 10:46 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Just to let Merc 496 owners know at Raylar we do not re-use the stock 8.1L connecting rods in our rework of higher performance 496 versions. Raylar replaces with new billet H-beam rods for strength and forged piston sets to match so we do not replace stock rod bolts or nuts.
I have been told that Volvo-Penta recommends from their conversations with GM Powertrain to just replace the rod nuts only and they supposedly stock an sell them as a seperate part.
As for rod bolts stretching , yes they do, all rod bolts stock and aftermarket stretch to place and hold the correct loads and pull on rod caps to keep rod ends and bearings where they need to be. That is why we an others use rod bolt stretch measuring tools to measure rod bolt stretch before and after assembly to make sure we get the stretch correct as torquing is just a close approximation of this required stretch in all rod bolts.
There is good informational and training reading at ARP bolt companies website on how to use, measure, stretch and torque rod bolts properly and the reasons for this procedure.
This should be a must read for anyone who is unfamiliar with proper rod bolt procedures and who is attempting to re-build or build high performance engines.
You could measure the exact length of your rod bolts as torqued in place by GM and then after they are removed and then see if at 53lbs they stretch to about the same length and return to the un-torqued length when the nuts are loosened. If they return to their un-torqued length or stretch length then they are not torque to yield -must replace bolts.

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Old 05-30-2011, 05:02 PM
Registered

Received 168 Likes on 106 Posts

GM Service documentation says to replace only the nuts.

I would like to try to explain a common misconception about TTY bolts.

1. Not every bolt that is tightened using the "torque + angle" method is a Torque To Yield bolt. There are pleny of fasteners that are tightened using a "torque + angle" that do not need to be replaced. Several manufacturers have used this method of tightening for quite a few years on head bolts yet the bolts do not need to be replaced because they are not tightened to the yield point. A perfect example in the High Performance world are the bolts used in Oliver rods.
Unless the manufacturer stipulates bolt replacement there is absolutely no reason to replace them.

Hope this helps,

Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
Old 05-30-2011, 05:08 PM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by BillK
GM Service documentation says to replace only the nuts.

I would like to try to explain a common misconception about TTY bolts.

1. Not every bolt that is tightened using the "torque + angle" method is a Torque To Yield bolt. There are pleny of fasteners that are tightened using a "torque + angle" that do not need to be replaced. Several manufacturers have used this method of tightening for quite a few years on head bolts yet the bolts do not need to be replaced because they are not tightened to the yield point. A perfect example in the High Performance world are the bolts used in Oliver rods.
Unless the manufacturer stipulates bolt replacement there is absolutely no reason to replace them.

Hope this helps,

Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
There ya go. Some do stretch. I got a demo from a mechanic years ago where we measured the length of torque to yield head bolts and the used ones were longer. You don't want to re-use those. Go by what the manufacturer says. I'd put in good bolts anyway though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.