Converting from MercTrans to BW c72 >

Converting from MercTrans to BW c72

Notices

Converting from MercTrans to BW c72

Old 05-26-2011, 10:19 PM
Registered

Received 1,493 Likes on 807 Posts
Default Converting from MercTrans to BW c72

I have a trs set up that had mertrans and am now soon to be ready to install the engines however have converted to bw c72's. I was told I need to move the engine mounts forward a couple of inches. Any insight on such would be greatly appreciated. I never gave this a thought throughout my project and am soon ready for installs. If it's just a matter of moving the forward mounts ahead I can't see this being a real big project however one that I didn't plan on. lol..
Thanks,
John
Old 05-27-2011, 01:19 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

If I'm not mistaken the Merc Trans is 8-9" shorter overall. Beings their not in yet set the B-W next to the Merc Trans and line up the tailstocks where they plug into the transom plate. Then measure the difference between the 2 where the engine bolts up to the bell housings.

Assume you changed your input shafts on your drives also.

Last edited by picklenjim; 05-27-2011 at 01:22 AM.
Old 05-28-2011, 02:40 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by picklenjim
If I'm not mistaken the Merc Trans is 8-9" shorter overall. Beings their not in yet set the B-W next to the Merc Trans and line up the tailstocks where they plug into the transom plate. Then measure the difference between the 2 where the engine bolts up to the bell housings.

Assume you changed your input shafts on your drives also.
I will measure them up today. Haven't changed the shafts out yet either. I may see just how much power the MercTrans will take. All the years boating this is the first TRS project and am learning something new every day. lol....
Old 05-28-2011, 03:36 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fixx

also make sure you have a merc trs aleignment tool handy..
Old 05-29-2011, 06:29 PM
Registered

Thanks guys. I measured them today and was a little surprized how much longer of a set up these are. I guess when I was looking at them from time to time in the shop I only paid attention to the BW minus the tail. The merctrans measures close to 15 1/2" and the BW with housing and tailshaft is close to 21 3/4".

I may be out there on this one however with moving the engines that much futher forward, will this change the handling etc. Given that everything originally (x-dim, drive height, etc was based on the weight where it "use to be"?

Or will the difference not be enough to be concerned with?
Thanks,
John