How do I drive/fly my new Tunnel? 22' DCB (Daytona) with a 500 HP i/o >

How do I drive/fly my new Tunnel? 22' DCB (Daytona) with a 500 HP i/o

Notices

How do I drive/fly my new Tunnel? 22' DCB (Daytona) with a 500 HP i/o

Old 05-27-2011, 12:14 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Question How do I drive/fly my new Tunnel? 22' DCB (Daytona) with a 500 HP i/o

I've been an V bottom guy my entire life, my fast ones were a Hydrostream V-King, and my Eliminator 20'7" V with a pad.

No issues, have the feel for these boats.

But the tunnel, from what I'm reading, whole new thing.

What do you feel when you trim too much? (slow down, blow over? I doubt this will blow over, it's feels solid, does not get kitey at all)

What do feel when you turn too sharp? (sponson digs in, or is that too late already?)

So far, nothing feels scary at all to me, but what people say about a tunnel does scare me.

Thanks for the input
Old 05-27-2011, 05:13 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

Congrats on the new boat. That hull has almost all good habits and will do surprisingly well with lake chop for it's size. It will do well with neutral trim. No need to trim up a lot. I'll give you some don'ts.... there are more.
Be smooth in turns to avoid a hook and spin which happens when CG is forward ie deceleration, negative trim. This can also happen if a sponson catches a wave the right way. I was in a 22' daytona when it happened once, no one hurt but was a wake up call to the driver.
Do not trim up when encountering cruiser wakes as this will cause the bow to rise a lot.........
Plan on every PWC you see crossing your bow. Your boat is not highly maneuverable at speed.
I think you'll be fine with your background, just get the feel of it and have fun. DCB makes a fine boat congrats. Eric
Old 05-27-2011, 08:33 AM
Registered

Received 38 Likes on 26 Posts

If you can drive a Hydrostream above 60 then you can drive anything....

Chris
Old 05-29-2011, 11:31 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Blueabyss
If you can drive a Hydrostream above 60 then you can drive anything....

Chris
LOL! That one was handfull that's for sure, got that one up to 80 on Radar, but without solid mounts, it would start to walk uncontrollable.

But what a rush the Hydrostream was!

P.S. The other boat I forgot to mention I had. An 11' hydrostream Huster with a 75 HP Evinrude Short shaft with a custom made power trim set back transom lift (brother was a machinist, that was very cool!) 60 MPH in an 11' boat, that was fun as well
Old 05-29-2011, 11:32 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by SkiDoc
Congrats on the new boat. That hull has almost all good habits and will do surprisingly well with lake chop for it's size. It will do well with neutral trim. No need to trim up a lot. I'll give you some don'ts.... there are more.
Be smooth in turns to avoid a hook and spin which happens when CG is forward ie deceleration, negative trim. This can also happen if a sponson catches a wave the right way. I was in a 22' daytona when it happened once, no one hurt but was a wake up call to the driver.
Do not trim up when encountering cruiser wakes as this will cause the bow to rise a lot.........
Plan on every PWC you see crossing your bow. Your boat is not highly maneuverable at speed.
I think you'll be fine with your background, just get the feel of it and have fun. DCB makes a fine boat congrats. Eric

Thanks Eric,

Greatly appreciate the input.