Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
1998 454 magnum flywheel problem???? >

1998 454 magnum flywheel problem????

Notices

1998 454 magnum flywheel problem????

Old 06-02-2011, 09:41 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default 1998 454 magnum flywheel problem????

I have a formula 272 with 1998 454 mags. Currently the port motor is making noises and struggling to start. It sounnds like a "clunking" while cranking and sometimes it will stop cranking and the stareter will just spinn free......

While running everything is fine. Bad spot on the flywheel? The real question, it is a Gen V motor , is the flywheel different than others or are they all the same?

This is a left hand motor, are the flywheel and starter different? Help!!! i want to gather the parts before this fails for good!
Old 06-06-2011, 11:41 AM
Registered

Anyone??? Or do you know where I can find out?
Old 06-06-2011, 01:47 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It might be the starter. My thought is to remove the starter and inspect. You can go from there. You may be able to see some of the flywheel when the started is out or maybe fish with a magnetic and see if you can pick up any teeth off the flywheel.
Old 06-06-2011, 06:47 PM
Registered

Found some chunks of rust from old exhaust manifolds but can't exactly identify any flywheel teeth.....
Old 06-06-2011, 06:51 PM
Registered

Default Hatch Actuator not working... HELP!!!

oops....
Old 06-07-2011, 09:34 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Gen V/VI flywheel is balanced differently than a Mk IV flywheel, although the Mk IV flywheel will bolt up to a Gen V/VI crank. I think there is also 2 different flywheels for the Gen V/VI 454 depending on whether it is forged or cast crank.

Are you certain that it is a counter-rotation engine? This is usually only seen on big cruisers that have direct drive. Most IO Bravo setups just spin the drive in the opposite direction. I think you can just flip the shifter around to do this, which effectively runs that drive in reverse. I'm not positive about this - have never owned a twin engine boat. Perhaps one of the twin-engine guys can correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 06-07-2011, 09:38 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Budman II
Gen V/VI flywheel is balanced differently than a Mk IV flywheel, although the Mk IV flywheel will bolt up to a Gen V/VI crank. I think there is also 2 different flywheels for the Gen V/VI 454 depending on whether it is forged or cast crank.

Are you certain that it is a counter-rotation engine? This is usually only seen on big cruisers that have direct drive. Most IO Bravo setups just spin the drive in the opposite direction. I think you can just flip the shifter around to do this, which effectively runs that drive in reverse. I'm not positive about this - have never owned a twin engine boat. Perhaps one of the twin-engine guys can correct me if I'm wrong.
You may be right, never really looked at it running to see which way it was spinning. I will have to do so. That will make things a bit easier for me if your correct.

I think your right about the bravo drives too....I am pretty sure they can be set up in either direction like you said.
Old 06-07-2011, 02:51 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

left is std rotation
Old 06-07-2011, 06:30 PM
GPM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 56 Posts

I assume you know that you can change the ring gear if the rest of the flywheel is in good condition.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:18 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by GPM
I assume you know that you can change the ring gear if the rest of the flywheel is in good condition.
Yeah I know, I have done it before. I just thought it would be easier to have a flywheel on hand so I could get the job done faster.

I don't like heating them with a torch, i use a welding rod oven but it takes a while.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.