Driving me nuts (condensation?) >

Driving me nuts (condensation?)

Notices

Driving me nuts (condensation?)

Old 06-08-2011, 02:02 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mrfixxall
try putting the circulation pump back on,thermostat housing and run a regular thermostat..this will keep more heat in the engine to keep the condensation down..
Honestly I have thought about doing that. Unfortuntely I would have to buy all the everything to switch it back. the boat came this way.

I'm hopin with the by pass, it will slow it down, and let the water stay in the block a little longer to heat up? I guess if nothing else, the water shoud be warming up pretty soon too.. 100 degrees (dam near) all this week!

luckily my boat is in the A/C so its not to bad workin on it!
Old 06-08-2011, 03:21 PM
Registered

4 3/16 holes seems a bit much to me if your not making temperature in cold water. I had a Hardin Marine 160 thermostat (i think, I know it wasnt 180) with just 2 3/16 holes in it. Even early in the year here with mid 60 degree water i could build water temp in the 160 170 range cruising and 180 wot. So i know the engine was getting warm. I didnt have an oil thermostat so I always took it easy until the engine was good and warm. I dint have an oil temp gauge either but i never had any condesation in oil. Just very little on inside of breather.

After a run Do you see steam coming from breather.
Old 06-08-2011, 04:03 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by steveh1209
4 3/16 holes seems a bit much to me if your not making temperature in cold water. I had a Hardin Marine 160 thermostat (i think, I know it wasnt 180) with just 2 3/16 holes in it. Even early in the year here with mid 60 degree water i could build water temp in the 160 170 range cruising and 180 wot. So i know the engine was getting warm. I didnt have an oil thermostat so I always took it easy until the engine was good and warm. I dint have an oil temp gauge either but i never had any condesation in oil. Just very little on inside of breather.

After a run Do you see steam coming from breather.
What does this indicate?
Old 06-08-2011, 09:29 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by cabin fever
I live in DSM, so we usually go to Saylorville. Its actually kinda nice right now since the water is high, there is alot more lake to play on, and we can run up the river aways.

We usually go to Rathbun 2-3 times a year. Will be down there 6-16 - 6/19

You can't rev past 2300?
We are always on rathbun hope to see you out there some time!
Old 06-08-2011, 11:31 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by cabin fever
Your in cold water too right now. with the procharged motor, are you runing a thermostat?

My best guess right now, is I have a condensation issue, since its not going up on the stick after 3 hours of run time.
I think it is just some light condensation. At least you are making progress with curing it.

I would play with some T-stats to try and eliminate it completely now. Reduce the number of holes or start with no holes and a 165* T Stat. Then go from there.
Old 06-09-2011, 08:13 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Griff
I think it is just some light condensation. At least you are making progress with curing it.

I would play with some T-stats to try and eliminate it completely now. Reduce the number of holes or start with no holes and a 165* T Stat. Then go from there.
Griff, If I remove the holes in the thermostat will the exhaust still get water, before the thermostat opens?

Am I correct that the holes are to help reduce PSI?, if so since I installed the bypass, I would think I would be ok?
Old 06-09-2011, 10:44 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

You have a bypass style crossover, so the exhaust will still get water. The holes are more to keep the temps and pressure more consistent. With the 4 holes and your water temp compared to the temp of the Tstat, I doubt the Tstat was even opening. It was more acting like a restrictor plate and flowing all the water through the holes.
With the Merc pressure valve, you shouldn't need to worry about the PSI now and can concentrate on getting a consistent water temp in the 140-160 range no matter what the rpms are.
Old 06-10-2011, 06:09 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

try adding a PCV to the system, changed everything I own to run them, helps clean out the engine and keeps engine cleaner to boot...may help with this...
Old 06-10-2011, 08:35 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by haulinit
We are always on rathbun hope to see you out there some time!
We will be down 6/16 Thurs-Sun next week. Staying at the marina hotel. We have about 6 boats in our group, and enought peeps to take over the entire hotel!

Get those head gaskets changed and get out there.

let me know if you make it out. would like to see the boat.

-Shane
Old 06-20-2011, 09:08 AM
Registered

ok follow up to this as I finally got to run the boat for 3 full days after the water psi bypass install.

Set the bypass valve at 15#. at 2500 its spitting some water, At 3000 rpms its dumping water pretty good.

Water psi gauge never went over 15# all weekend.

Water temp 130-150 all weekend. Oil Temp goes up to 230 at 3500 rpms after a few min. Never seemed to go over that, but I didn't push it WOT for more then a couple short bursts. Slow down, and it drops down to around 180-200.

First run I took the tubes outta the valve covers, and it blew chit over the top, white sludge. cleaned it up. Put the tubes back in (my tubes run to puke tank, not the carb) Run it again the next day, and nothing. NADA, Zilch. Checked oil, and it looked good.

3rd day, was the same as the 2nd. Checked oil when I got home, and still looked good.

Gonna keep an eye on it, but keeping my fingers crossed I am ok now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.