Gotta vent ... literally >

Gotta vent ... literally

Notices

Gotta vent ... literally

Old 06-10-2011, 08:33 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Gotta vent ... literally

Got a client - half a$$ friend - owns a 38 Top Gun with 525's - runs the living $hit out of it constantly - has hours in the mid 3 - 4's and is wanting me to change the hose on the PVC fitting on the valve cover because oil has now started to seep/leak from this hose..... Well duh!!! Ask me to use fuel hose vs the plastic vent hose they install from the factory ...

I'm trying to explain to him it's an engine issue - not a hose issue. Has ANYONE ever had one puke oil for any other reason?? I haven't had time to run a leak down - nor do I really want to. Too many other things going on and trying to push this guy off on someone else - I've got Gone Again to take care of - it's top of the list vs. this guy.

Have a great weekend all!!

Thanks

Capt Ross
Old 06-10-2011, 09:14 AM
Registered

Sometimes its best to just shut up and do what somebody wants. If you keep pushing the issue you will be the one doing the leakdown and then wishing you would have just kept your mouth shut.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:21 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by c_deezy
Sometimes its best to just shut up and do what somebody wants. If you keep pushing the issue you will be the one doing the leakdown and then wishing you would have just kept your mouth shut.
WTF? I don't HAVE to do a damn thing. I was asking if anyone else had a similiar experience with a 525 and it NOT being a blow by issue - and if you don't have a clue WTF I'm talking about - pack sand.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:28 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by c_deezy
While I agree to a point, I have learned some hard lessons in the past by just doing what the customer wants.

If it fails or causes other problems, it's still going to be your fault. If the guy is talking to anyone and shows them the work you did, wether under his direction or not, it could make you look bad.

Easier to fix it right and maintain a good rep than half ass it.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:30 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by txriverrat2001
WTF? I don't HAVE to do a damn thing. I was asking if anyone else had a similiar experience with a 525 and it NOT being a blow by issue - and if you don't have a clue WTF I'm talking about - pack sand.
And to that point... I would say it's almost got to be blowby. I have never heard of anything else causing an issue like that.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:41 AM
Registered

Excuse me, I misunderstood.

You said you don't want to do the leakdown and you were trying to push the guy onto somebody else. I thought you wanted out of it. That's why I said do what he wants and move on.... Relax man.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:46 AM
Registered

No prob - the deal is I don't have to do work for this guy - or anyone else for that matter. This is for fun and beer $$ - ya know? I was just seeing if anyone out there knew of any other reason why a 525 would be pissin oil out the vent tube other than the obvious -

As I mentioned - I've got the Skater back together and it's my priority these days - I had 15 boats I used to wrench on - that list has dropped dramatically since the kids are gone of to the Service and the ex isn't getting half my check!! LOL!!
Old 06-10-2011, 11:59 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fixx

Originally Posted by txriverrat2001
No prob - the deal is I don't have to do work for this guy - or anyone else for that matter. This is for fun and beer $$ - ya know? I was just seeing if anyone out there knew of any other reason why a 525 would be pissin oil out the vent tube other than the obvious -

As I mentioned - I've got the Skater back together and it's my priority these days - I had 15 boats I used to wrench on - that list has dropped dramatically since the kids are gone of to the Service and the ex isn't getting half my check!! LOL!!
you nailed ot on the head! most likely wore out engine or s..
Tell him look sign this piece of paper with me stating that your engines needs to be freshened..its going to cost you x amount of $$$ to install new pcv hoses..then put in writing that he acknowledges that you are doing this work and its not going to fix his problem..then charge him 500 bux to do it...he will go away and you have it in writing just in case he tries to bad mouth you that he knew the engines were worn out before you did the work and you did what he wanted you to do..
Old 06-10-2011, 12:29 PM
Registered

A clogged breather or plugged up pcv valve would be the first things to check. Either would cause what you describe. A little creamed cheese and they are choked and leaking oil out the hose. I'd clean them out including the hoses and if that doesn't do it, your done.