Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
How do I find out who has the loan on a boat I purchased >

How do I find out who has the loan on a boat I purchased

Notices

How do I find out who has the loan on a boat I purchased

Old 06-18-2011, 02:36 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks Ian and how are you and the better half... long time no see. I bought the boat this way because he had a good rep on OSO and also thought he was a stand up guy until December when he had not payed the boat off as promised.
Old 06-18-2011, 06:54 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 784 Likes on 363 Posts

Was it his big Baja or a different boat?
Old 06-18-2011, 08:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by articfriends
Was it his big Baja or a different boat?
Ocean Express turd (CHI TOWN HUSTLE )
Old 06-18-2011, 11:03 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Brian41,

If there was a loan against the boat then there should be a lien filed with the Clerk of Court in the appropriate jurisdiction. Probably start with the Clerk of Court in the town where the previous owner lived/kept the boat.

Good luck,
RB
Old 06-19-2011, 06:54 AM
Registered

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts

Lets see a picture of it.

Chris
Old 06-19-2011, 11:26 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by brian41
On 10-15-2010 I paid for the boat and Mark gave a me bill of sale with a contract that gave him 2 weeks to pay the boat off and get the title which he never did. I found loan papers on the boat from when he bought it in 2001. The lien holder at the time was Key Bank in Ohio. I called them on monday and told them of the sale of the boat to me last year and they still have not come up with an answer one way or the other if the loan is still active.The person I talked to at the bank said there was nothing on file but put in a request with the info I had available.Mark may have tied the boat to the loan on his new house when he bought it, I do not know at this time.

Mark is aware of the thread I started on OSO last week calling him out in public but he still has not responded and I am to the point now that I am going to remove the boat from my property on monday and file a law suite against Mark for return of my money plus all my costs,labor and storage.

I am already looking at several other boats and will be looking to close a deal within the next 2 weeks.
You could always contact the Dept Of Watercraft here in Ohio (http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/Default.a....us/watercraft) , see if they can do a title search for the boat-usually whichever state the lienholders reside in, the title to the collateral they own is titled in that state as well. Good luck!
Old 06-19-2011, 03:39 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the Certificate of Documentation and it has the hailing port listed as Chicago and it does not list a lien holder so should I contact the Coast Guard or the state of Illinois?

A paper with them has "title documents" from Marine Title Company are these a legal title because they have a form on the back side for the change of ownership?
Old 06-19-2011, 08:13 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by brian41
I have the Certificate of Documentation and it has the hailing port listed as Chicago and it does not list a lien holder so should I contact the Coast Guard or the state of Illinois?

A paper with them has "title documents" from Marine Title Company are these a legal title because they have a form on the back side for the change of ownership?
Was the boat last titled in Illinois? If so, check with an Illinois title dept that is famaliar with watercraft titling/registration laws-every state is different and can get tricky if the lienholders business/corp office is out of state. Ask them if they accept whatever documentation you have as a valid title form. If not, you will have to track down the last state it was titled in. As EZ said, you can file for a lost title but I know here in Ohio, watercraft titles are a whole different ballgame vs car/vehicle titles and are a big PITA to get.
Old 06-20-2011, 12:33 AM
Registered

Question Just A Thought

How about handing the job over to a reputable title company and let them do a comprehensive legal search.

There has to be someone that would do it for a nominal, acceptable fee.

And the peace of mind etc would be priceless if you care about the boat.

Maritime law is CRAZY. It is not similar in hardly any way to that of anything else.
Old 06-20-2011, 12:37 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,773 Likes on 876 Posts

Is the boat Titled in State or is it USCG documented????

Documented boats don't have actual Titles

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.