fuel system needs for 470-500hp setups

Notices

fuel system needs for 470-500hp setups

Old 06-21-2011, 11:15 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gsxr1216
bud,
i hear ya, that filter looks restrictive, and some of the specs i saw on fuel filters didnt look to flow real great, but after finding that the 525sc uses the same components for filter head and filter as mine did OEM then i guess it will work for my application. i can tell you the 525sc did NOT use the same fuel pump as the OEM 454 MAG so you might be borderline there with the OEM one

as for upgrading the pump, man what a cluster $%^&* that is turning into... trying to get fittings to go from the 3/8 npt to the flare needed for the hard line has been VERY problematic. i called about 4 different hyd places after striking out at my engine builders place. closet spot i found is michigan to get the fititng i need... just like eveytihng else, takes a week to solve a problem... maybe by 4th of july the motor might actually be inside the hull, instead of partying i will be laying inside my boat plumbing/wiring everything back together
GSXR, as Bill Clinton used to say, "I feel your pain". I finally got mine to light off last night, and ran it on the hose briefly, only to be greeted by clattering lifters and no water coming out the headers. Shut it down and drank several beers. I'll hit it again tonight.

Have you considered just running the stainless braided fuel lines or even the push-lock hoses? I believe the push-lock hoses are actually NHRA approved. I am running the braided lines on mine. You can generally find them in #6 for around $4 / foot, and fittings shouldn't run much more than $5 each. Now those damn #10 lines I had to run for the oil cooler cost a king's ransom!
Old 06-21-2011, 12:59 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i actually have all the pushlok stuff to do it, but its not USCG approved so i most likely wont use it. also, i need a fairly tight bend that i cant do easliy in pushlock without adding more 90's, and the 90's kill fuel flow. the adapters i got to go from the pump to the 6an in 90 degree are not "full flow" type 90's.. so those reasons have led me back to going with hard line plus CG cant balk about it either..

what lifters are you running? how much preload? i got lucky on mine and they didnt even have to touch them on the dyno. are you sure it ran long enough to fill the whole motor, when shes bone dry it takes a lot to fill all them hoses and block up!!!

good luck man!
Old 06-21-2011, 01:48 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

They are stock GM roller lifters - i gave them maybe 5/8 turn preload, which is what the engine builder recommended. They apparently don't take as much preload as some of the aftermarket ones. I'm going to run it through a couple of heat cycles to see if they quiet down a little.

I ran it for close to a minute on the hose, so it should have had time to start sending some water out the exhaust. Headers started to get hot, so I cut it off. I'm going to pull some hoses tonight, weather permitting, to make sure the pump is putting out flow.
Old 06-21-2011, 02:47 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

did you prime the engine long enough to get oil coming out of all your pushrods?? i know on mine it took forever with the drill and my mechanical guage showing 70psi of oil pressure to get all the pushrods full and flowing oil after i had turned the motor over doezens of times setting the valve lash? you might just have a bunch of collapsed lifter that arent full yet??

water issue, run your hose with the motor off providing your water dumps enough back that it will drain out the exhasut and not pour back into the motor and see if you get water flow? a bad impeller shouldnt stop water flow when on the hose unless something got clogged somehow?