fuel system needs for 470-500hp setups >

fuel system needs for 470-500hp setups

Notices

fuel system needs for 470-500hp setups

Old 06-18-2011, 08:10 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel system needs for 470-500hp setups

so i need some help on what people are using for fuel systems on around 500hp motors.

i have a new fuel pump 130gph which is more than enough fuel pump and my concern has become the lines going to it. i have a holley 850 on it and bought holleys chrome fuel line for that specific carb and it surprised me that the ID of the hard line is only .250dia going to each bowl and only .250 dia ID where the inlet feed from the hard line is, and if you look at my pic all of the things i have yellow lines going to are only .250dia ID. the hose nipple on my water separater is .312 dia ID.

i really dont want to replace every single thing in the fuel system, IE fuel separator, all the lines from the tank, the tank pickup ETC if i dont need to. did merc's 500HP engines all have bigger line for all this stuff????

unfortunately when they ran this motor on the dyno they fed my carb with there electric pump and -8 fuel lines to each float bowl. i wanted to run it afterwards with my fuel components afterwards to see if it became fuel starved or not but they didnt have any way to feed my fuel separator or check BSFC using my fuel system components so i dont have any good way to verify my stuff is sufficient until this boat hits water and honestly one of the reasons i dynoed it was so i didnt have to "tune" this on the water...

thanks!

Old 06-18-2011, 09:40 AM
Registered

Those lines will be fine. It looks to me like you dont have a fuel pressure gauge ? I would get rid of that cheap chrome line (it flakes off after awhile) and order the line from summit. It fits perfect...looks good...and has a port for a gauge. Then just make sure you have around 7 psi going into the carb, and your done !!! See how they look on my motors ?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-220105/

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-800115/
Attached Thumbnails fuel system needs for 470-500hp setups-boat-motors-2.jpg  
Old 06-18-2011, 11:11 AM
Registered

no port for a gauge on the fuel line... i bought the holley "marine" line for the carb and once i got it and read the instructions it says "marine model has no 1/8" port" ..... so now that its all unpackaged so i could get to the instruction i really cant return it....

I'm figuring i when i make the new line for the new 130gph pump i will get the guage in there somewhere since i now need to add a pressure regulator to the system since the 130gph holley requires a regulator... $50 here, $50 there, pretty much doubled my cost for this project with all the surprise $50 and $100 items that pop up along the way!
Old 06-18-2011, 08:15 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by tinman565
Those lines will be fine. It looks to me like you dont have a fuel pressure gauge ? I would get rid of that cheap chrome line (it flakes off after awhile) and order the line from summit. It fits perfect...looks good...and has a port for a gauge. Then just make sure you have around 7 psi going into the carb, and your done !!! See how they look on my motors ?

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-220105/

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SUM-800115/
what were your/are your motors now?? are you using the OEM fuel separators?
Old 06-18-2011, 08:39 PM
Registered

502's...and yes, they are OEM. Look at the lower right corner of the pic...you can see one of the water seperators.
Old 06-19-2011, 06:30 PM
Registered

ok, after looking at my fuel filter closer it seems that the holes feeding into the filter area are pretty darn small also??

are you guys making 500hp able to feed your motor through this stock OEM fuel filter setup??? heck i did some looking today and it seems like these filters only flow 70gph max..

i need to get all this fuel stuff sorted out in 3 days before this motor ends up back in the hull!!!

thanks!
Old 06-19-2011, 06:43 PM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

When I was planning my engines I asked my engine builder if the stock setup was fine and he said up to 650 hp the stock set up is no problem. So with that said, your fine with what you have.
Old 06-20-2011, 08:26 AM
Registered

well after looking at the part microfiche for all year 525SC motors they used the exact same filter head and filter that my motor calls for OEM so i guess these parts will do the job after all!

now to the joy of making all new lines.....
Old 06-21-2011, 10:47 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by gsxr1216
ok, after looking at my fuel filter closer it seems that the holes feeding into the filter area are pretty darn small also??

are you guys making 500hp able to feed your motor through this stock OEM fuel filter setup??? heck i did some looking today and it seems like these filters only flow 70gph max..
Hmmm - if those fuel filters only flow 70 GPH, what is the point in running a pump that supplies 100+ GPH? I was considering upgrading my pump to a model that puts out 110 GPH, but now I wonder if that is worth doing?
Old 06-21-2011, 11:03 AM
Registered

bud,
i hear ya, that filter looks restrictive, and some of the specs i saw on fuel filters didnt look to flow real great, but after finding that the 525sc uses the same components for filter head and filter as mine did OEM then i guess it will work for my application. i can tell you the 525sc did NOT use the same fuel pump as the OEM 454 MAG so you might be borderline there with the OEM one

as for upgrading the pump, man what a cluster $%^&* that is turning into... trying to get fittings to go from the 3/8 npt to the flare needed for the hard line has been VERY problematic. i called about 4 different hyd places after striking out at my engine builders place. closet spot i found is michigan to get the fititng i need... just like eveytihng else, takes a week to solve a problem... maybe by 4th of july the motor might actually be inside the hull, instead of partying i will be laying inside my boat plumbing/wiring everything back together

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.