running a flexplate instead of a flywheel >

running a flexplate instead of a flywheel

Notices

running a flexplate instead of a flywheel

Old 06-18-2011, 10:05 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default running a flexplate instead of a flywheel

I have a 22' scarab with a 350 mag. I have to replace the flywheel due to some bad teeth can i run a regular flexplate thats a little lighter? I know its a little thinner i was wondering if anybody tried it?
Old 06-18-2011, 10:54 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have heard that you need the flywheel weight so the engine won't die when you put it in gear on like Alpha's and Bravo's.
Old 06-19-2011, 12:14 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fixx

you dont need to replace the flywheel,your local napa can get a starter ring for that flywheel..pick the year of the engine and order that year but in a chevy truck with a stick shift,,warm up the ring with a torch and take a punch and a hammer and knock the ring off..put the flywheel in the freeezer over night and leave it their until you inatall the new ring..place the flywheel on a flat hard serface,warm up the new ring and set it on the flywheel and tap it into place and flush with the machined slot on the flywheel...the ring is between 35 and 50 bux..
Old 06-19-2011, 07:55 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

in most cases a flex plate would not give you the mounting bolts to mount the coupler to as they use the pressure plate bolt holes
Old 06-20-2011, 09:54 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

You can buy a new flywheel from places like Jegs for around $80. Should be a standard 350 flywheel - you just need to make sure it is round flange or square flange.