Guys need some supercharger advice ! and boat information >

Guys need some supercharger advice ! and boat information

Notices

Guys need some supercharger advice ! and boat information

Old 06-20-2011, 11:38 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Guys need some supercharger advice ! and boat information

hey guys I bought a 20.5 Cougar Custom 454 EFI currentley running a 25 inch pitch Tempest 3 blade .. I was wondering if anyone has ever had one of these boats and really pushed the hull to see how fast it would go .. I was also thinking of bolting on a supercharger ?? is it worth it? if so which ones are good and which ones should i stay away from?? I had a 23 mirage on this thing last weekend it runs about 75mph .. havent tryed the 25 pitch yet .. just a little more would be nice.. any info would be great as well as some website links if someone could help .. i would like to get my hands on a good used one.. but how is the tuning done? once you bolt the thing on .. last thing i want to do is turn this thing into a nightmatre its a turn key boat right now ! thanks guys

Daniel
Old 06-21-2011, 05:56 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

No such thing as bolting on a supercharger and having reliablitiy. The procharger and whipple charger are options for you if your engine is a 454 Magnum. If it is not a magnum the internal components are not up to the task.
I am a fan of superchargers, but you must upgrade your fuel lines remap ecu's, have sufficient exhaust, etc......
Do the supercharger, but do it right or not at all.
Old 06-21-2011, 10:42 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

75 mph in a 20 foot boat is scootin'. If you want to go faster than that in that hull, make sure your steering is up to the task. You are getting into the speeds where hydraulic steering becomes a necessity. Also, you may encounter some dangerous handling characteristics when you hit the limits that the hull was designed for. Things can get scary in a hurry at those speeds. Make use of your jacket and lanyard, and consider upping your life insurance.

SkiDoc covered the supercharger thing pretty well. You have to know what you are doing, especially with carb tuning. You can't just "slap on a supercharger" on a boat.

Good luck, and have fun.
Old 06-21-2011, 11:24 AM
Registered

Default hey thanks guys

has anyone bolted on a supercharger on this kind of boat? yes it is the magnum the good one ... it seems fine at 75.. how much would a supercharger push me up too? I hurd of a guy with the same boat that was running 90s on gps with extended trim tabs etc.. trying to find him lol .. built big block apparentley .. does anyone have a used one for sale if so is it worth it to go used or new? like you said do it right .. thats the way i will do it I dont half job anything

let me know
thanks
daniel
Old 06-21-2011, 01:57 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

Look at the project from long term perspective before you go on. Be honest and ask yourself, what kind of boating do I want to do? Is this boat likely to make me happy for several years? What is my budget? I found out that increasing speed costs a lot of money. Say you add a supercharger and necessessities, hydraulic steering, tabs, guages, prop, drive upgrades, hatch changes, etc......you are going to do things that really will not be able to be recouped in a sale.
The Cougar boat is nice. If you know you
will be happy with it go for it. Conservative boost
could add 200 hp. Probably 15 mph in a light
boat.
Old 06-21-2011, 04:37 PM
Registered

Default hey

it already has Hydraulic Steering .. it was changed a couple years ago.. The leg is still good to go its a Bravo Leg .. apparentley would handle the hp np... how would the hatch work ? would it need to be modified? I know superchargers build alot of heat .. but not sure how you could modify the hatch to keep it cool.. have you had a look at the 20.5 Cougar? to see what the hatch is like .. I strictly use the boat on a fair size lake we have a cabin on.. doesnt ever go for long rides around non stop pretty much use it for half a hour shut it down for a bit .. im planning on having the boat for awhile my uncle had the boat made from cougar I bought it from him .. always loved it so I dont plan on selling it anytime soon ... and from what ive seen on sites you can get a new supercharger for around 5500 or used one for like 3000.. some nice deals on used ones .. just would want to make sure it was in good shape .. thanks alot for the info Skidoc .. do you know of anyone bolting on a supercharger to this style of boat?
Old 06-21-2011, 06:39 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff P31
5500 for the blower and then all you need is 2 carb's 1 chiller a cam and lifters , carb linkage , spark arrestor's , fuel line's , fuel pump , fuel regulator and a good set of heads would be nice and good exhaust . Can you see where this is going ? As mentioned, NO such thing as a bolt on super charger !!! Just saying , good luck Jeff
Add stronger drive, bigger oil cooler and lines,several props,better crank, rods, pistons-the list just keeps growing, I KNOW!!
Old 06-21-2011, 06:48 PM
GPM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by daniel475
hey guys I bought a 20.5 Cougar Custom 454 EFI currentley running a 25 inch pitch Tempest 3 blade .. I was wondering if anyone has ever had one of these boats and really pushed the hull to see how fast it would go .. I was also thinking of bolting on a supercharger ?? is it worth it? if so which ones are good and which ones should i stay away from?? I had a 23 mirage on this thing last weekend it runs about 75mph .. havent tryed the 25 pitch yet .. just a little more would be nice.. any info would be great as well as some website links if someone could help .. i would like to get my hands on a good used one.. but how is the tuning done? once you bolt the thing on .. last thing i want to do is turn this thing into a nightmatre its a turn key boat right now ! thanks guys

Daniel
Was that 75 on speedometer or GPS ? you really should find out what speed that hull was designed to run, right side up.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:07 PM
Registered

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

I upgraded my weiand 256 to an 871. I had $3300 into the used 871 with whipple chiller. Paid my mechanic to $500 to put it on plus $200 in misc. fittings/hoses/parts. Had to revamp hatch at a $1000. Cockpit cover $200. So I am at over $5000 just to upgrade a known weak-link blower. What I am getting at is that you would be farther ahead selling what you have and buying another boat with a premium motor package.
Old 06-21-2011, 07:11 PM
Registered

hey it was on GPS .... well like i said ill be having the boat for a long time .. and have some money laying around .. the stock cranks in those magnum 454 EFI s? cant handle the 5 pounds of boost they would be running? aswell and same goes for the pistons and rods? do you need to do this all at once? I could see if I was running more boost but 5 isnt too much .. I tried to get ahold of cougar to find out about hull speed no such luck so far .. also the drive? what would I upgrade too? everyone i talked to so far said the leg on this thing is a good leg and would handle the hp from a supercharger? ill try to find the specs on it for you guys

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.