Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Would you own a boat if it was cool and cloudy the majority of the summer? >

Would you own a boat if it was cool and cloudy the majority of the summer?

Notices

Would you own a boat if it was cool and cloudy the majority of the summer?

Old 06-22-2011, 03:48 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I spent about 4 months in Seattle for a joint development project for my then employer and a company based near the old KingDome. I got up there in June, and we had perfect, sunny, San Diego-like weather all the way up until late October. This was back in (I think) 1991, and as I recall, it was a record of dry, warm weather for Seattle. It was like a little bit of heaven for me - corporate apartment, no expenses, and I was a single man. Then late October hit and it turned back into Seattle weather again - cold, clammy and rainy.

To be honest, I checked one time and for much of the year the weather in Seattle is not that much different than it is here in Louisville, KY. Sounds like you guys are just on an extended losing streak as far as the weather goes. It has been crazy all across the country the past few years. Maybe it will break soon. You know you can guarantee one thing - if you sell the boat, the weather will immediately turn sunny and warm!
Old 06-22-2011, 08:35 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Powerquest_Baby!!
Just curious on thoughts here....

I live in good old cloudy Seattle. Last year it rained Memorial Day, 4th of July, Seafair (hydro races) and Labor Day. Weve had a total of 33 days over 75 degrees since November 2009!! The last weekend we had over 80 degrees was August 15th 2010! It was the coolest summer we have had in 55 years.

This spring we broke records for rainfall and cool temps..April was the coolest ever. This spring ranked as the coolest since 1955. Last weekend it hit 56 degrees on Saturday and 62 on Sunday. So far this year we have had 2 days over 75 degrees. The next 4 days are forecast to be mid 60's and rain..

The question: Would you own a boat if you lived in this climate? I LOVE boating but am beginning to wonder if its worth owning one when you rarely get to use it.
Haven't you heard theres global warming?
Be patient. LOL
Old 06-22-2011, 08:45 PM
VIP Member
Platinum Member

Received 75 Likes on 36 Posts

ABSOLUTELY!!! Nothing would stop me (well, almost).
Old 06-22-2011, 08:45 PM
Registered

I live about 5 hours north of seattle and the weather here hasnt been much better but i guess i save alot of money on fuel and repairs since i only use my boat 2 months out of the year.
Old 06-22-2011, 09:13 PM
Charter Member #1171
Charter Member

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Pack and move if you really love boating
Old 06-22-2011, 10:28 PM
Registered

It's called juneuary here in the PAC northwest. But I'm keeping the boat
Old 06-22-2011, 11:25 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

We boat rain or shine, cloudy or sunny, warm or cool. Have to take it however you can get it. I love boating and there isn't much that can stop me. Actually so far only one thing has stopped me in the past. It was a back surgery (Fusion). And that only delayed me a few months. I was out boating, in a back brace, 2 months after the surgery.
Old 06-23-2011, 01:22 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by dodgezilla04
It's called juneuary here in the PAC northwest. But I'm keeping the boat
Its not just "Juneuary" its the fact that weve had 33 days over 75 degrees in the last 19 months!
--I want to go boating and havent gone once yet this year and its almost July!!
Old 06-23-2011, 01:32 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by low_psi
We boat rain or shine, cloudy or sunny, warm or cool. Have to take it however you can get it. I love boating and there isn't much that can stop me. surgery.
You say that but I just pulled up Accuweather and Wyandotte has already had 26 days over 75 degrees since May 1st 2011!! Your boating in alot of warm weather!! Weve had 2 days over 75 this year!! Not even in the same league. Its hard to believe that Michigan is that much warmer than Washington but its true....

I guess I have to decide if the $6000 I pay each year in payments, storage, insurance and maintenance is enough to compensate for the 6-8 times a year I get to boat.
Old 06-23-2011, 06:21 AM
Registered

Location: Omaha, Nebraska. Boat on the Mighty Mo! Longest river in the USA!
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

I am asking myself the same question!

Land Locked in Omaha Ne. River flooding for the second year in a row thanks to the Water hording people north of us above the six dams used for flood control.

Now the dams open full blast and people are flooded out of there homes. I just got a letter yesterday saying the marina has over 2 million dollars of damage already and don’t expect to be boating next year. I put the boat on its lift, and took it out two weeks later to put back in storage. To big to drag to area lakes, and truck to small to pull it hundreds of miles.

Sorry for the RANT

So I keep sining the song "sitting by the dock of the bay"

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.