holley fuel lines leaking.... >

holley fuel lines leaking....

Notices

holley fuel lines leaking....

Old 07-02-2011, 07:56 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default holley fuel lines leaking....

so i have a new holley carb and bought this hard chrome line for it finanlly got my motor to fire tonight after weeks of battling issue after issue.... anyway this hard line leaks like crazy where it bolts into the carb bowls. originally i didnt have it real tight as i didnt think flare fittings needs to be reefed down. so i cranked it down real tight, still leaks... i had this motor on the dyno and they ran there own steel braided fuel lines to my carb bowls and they didnt leak so i know the carb fitting are good. anyone had issues with this holley line before???

I had to make all new steel custom bent lines from my fuel filter to pump and pump to this hard line and sure enough a few of those 6 other flare fittings leak also..... fun fun fun... another holiday weekend goes by with no boating, just swearing at the boat instead...

and to top it off my Y pipe rubber boots from my silent choice diverters leak waster also.

Old 07-02-2011, 08:44 PM
Registered

Didnt I warn you in another thread about that cheap, sh*tty line ? And the dyno guys used the same line I suggested you buy ? Hmmmmmmmmmm....interesting.
Old 07-02-2011, 08:52 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by tinman565
Didnt I warn you in another thread about that cheap, sh*tty line ? And the dyno guys used the same line I suggested you buy ? Hmmmmmmmmmm....interesting.
the line they used is NOT USCG approved which is why i didnt go that route......

but hey thanks for the help anyway
Old 07-02-2011, 10:43 PM
Registered

Slap some RTV on the mating faces and tighten lightly - wait 10 -20 minutes and then tighten them up.
Old 07-03-2011, 12:00 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I never had a lot of luck with those chromed lines either. I had one on my 67 Camaro that leaked, and I was able to get it to stop by putting some teflon thread tape on the backside of the flare where the fitting contacted it. Try that, but be careful not to let it get into the joint itself. If that stuff finds its way inside the carb, it will clog something up.

Can't see RTV helping anything - I think it turns to jelly in the presence of gasoline.
Old 07-03-2011, 12:52 AM
Registered

If the leak is at the flare simply use some SECO seals. They come in all sizes and material (copper aluminum) and are inexpensive. You probably have a -6 size.
Old 07-03-2011, 05:49 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by PayCheck
Slap some RTV on the mating faces and tighten lightly - wait 10 -20 minutes and then tighten them up.

rtv is not fuel proof and will disolve and this is the most dangerous and stupid solution ever suggested on this board on any topic.
Old 07-03-2011, 05:55 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by gsxr1216
so i have a new holley carb and bought this hard chrome line for it finanlly got my motor to fire tonight after weeks of battling issue after issue.... anyway this hard line leaks like crazy where it bolts into the carb bowls. originally i didnt have it real tight as i didnt think flare fittings needs to be reefed down. so i cranked it down real tight, still leaks... i had this motor on the dyno and they ran there own steel braided fuel lines to my carb bowls and they didnt leak so i know the carb fitting are good. anyone had issues with this holley line before???

I had to make all new steel custom bent lines from my fuel filter to pump and pump to this hard line and sure enough a few of those 6 other flare fittings leak also..... fun fun fun... another holiday weekend goes by with no boating, just swearing at the boat instead...

and to top it off my Y pipe rubber boots from my silent choice diverters leak waster also.

you might want to look inside the bores and make sure that the taper thats at the bottom that that line is supposed to seal against is the same as the one on the lines... we aren't talking rocket science here... only about a billion holly carbs have been made and lines attached to them successfully. take the carb and line down to your local speed shop and have someone that knows what they are looking at identify the problem before your next post starts with " gee i was cranking the boat and it caught fire and then burned my garage and house down and the insurance company won't pay because they said it was self inflicted"
Old 07-03-2011, 06:49 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tmak
If the leak is at the flare simply use some SECO seals. They come in all sizes and material (copper aluminum) and are inexpensive. You probably have a -6 size.
TMak, are these the little copper gaskets for flare fittings? If so, I was able to successfully correct a leaking fuel line on my Suburban with one of these. The soft copper acts like a gasket by taking up the space caused by irregularity on the flare surface. If they can hold the kind of pressure generated by brake systems, they should be fine for holding 6-10 PSI of fuel pressure.

You probably won't find them at your local Home Depot or Autozone. I had to get mine from a hydraulic supply company.
Old 07-03-2011, 08:01 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by tmak
those look pretty good, doesnt look like i can get them anyplace local unfortunately after doing a few web searchs....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.