Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Low Oil Pressure on Rebuilt 454 >

Low Oil Pressure on Rebuilt 454

Notices

Low Oil Pressure on Rebuilt 454

Old 07-07-2011, 03:03 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I used the H/P 3" cooler from eddie marine, filter adapter from moroso and twist lock lines/fittings from summit racing...have not run in water yet...this weekend I hope... Rob

Last edited by ezstriper; 07-07-2011 at 04:25 PM.
Old 07-07-2011, 07:43 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

I use the EMI 3" combo cooler, canton racing adaptor, 12an lines, a huge Amsoil filter, 15/40 amsoil, I have about 500HP. Don't get alarmed with the oil pressure, when my engine is cold it runs about 40psi at idle and over 80 at 3k and up. When its warmed up I only run 15-20 at idle but still 80 at higher RPM. If you pump to much oil you can drain the pan and then run out of oil so I was told not to run high volume/pressure pumps. Just set up your oiling system correctlly Plenty of info here on oiling to keep you busy for a few days.
One more thing, did they get the PCM calebrated? If not that could cause you problems also. There are a few pro's on here that can help you with that. The best way to tune would be to check with wideband O2.

Last edited by jeffswav; 07-07-2011 at 07:45 PM.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:27 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ACE7WILD
I recently just purchased a PowerQuest 260 Legend SX with a rebuilt 454MAG with a Vortech Supercharger. Roughly 20 hours on the engine now. When I first start the engine up oil pressure isnt too bad but not the greatest at about 36-39psi. It will stay in that same range at idling speed in no wake zones and even stay there when I get up on plane and all thru the RPM band. When I get off plane and go back to idle is when I really get nervous....drops to somewhere between 10-20psi!! After again idling in no wake zone the pressure we steadily climb back up to the 36-39psi range. I really hope it's nothing internally in the engine.... What are some recommendations on starting to pin point my problem? I would rather obviously check EVERY external factor that I can before I pull engine! Not an engine expert my any means but I'm throwing this out there...can it be a bad oil pressure sender? Engine is not running hot and runs real cool, I hear no crazy noises. I did add about a half a court of oil and is no topped off and seems to not be losing any, but I will check again to make sure! Gotta love buying a new boat.......
Sounds about normal to me. My 496ho's run about the same. Everyone thinks high pressure is what you want, but its really not the case. You obviously need some pressure to move the oil through the system, however, pressure is caused by resistance, so the higher the pressure, the higher the resistance of the oil flowing through the journals, and therefore possible lack of lubrication. What you really want is Oil Volume. Once again, obviously there is a fine line there, as I stated some pressure is needed, but 20psi seems quite normal. Does it go back up as you're running? I'm sure it does, therefore, you have nothing to worry about.
Old 07-10-2011, 09:27 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ran a built 502 with a procharger for several years. Your pressure drop when idling hot sounds about right thats about the same as mine would do. I do agree with everybody about a little heavier oil and a larger oil cooler is a must. About 15 to 20 hot idling and 35 to 40 while running is more then enough. Alot of people think they need to see tons of oil pressure the top of the engine needs very little oil to keep the rockers oiled all high oil pressure does is pump all the oil to the top of the engine where its not needed. From the cam bearings down is where oil is critical. Install a oil temp guage and keep your temp around180 if you run hard and it climbs to about 220 time to back off and let it cool down. Hope this helps