Notices

Got CMI's?

Old 07-06-2011, 07:37 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 171 Likes on 86 Posts
Default Got CMI's?

Anybody ever have one crack and leak water into cyl? wtf???

Anyway, looking for the starboard/right, with the mounting holes for shift linkage. I believe they are E-Tops, its for a 500EFI. I can post a part# if that helps.

Thanks in advance for the help
Old 07-06-2011, 07:49 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

Are these the stock Merc/CMI's that come on the EFI 500's? If so they are known to crack, leak and ruin your engine! Do yourself a favor and replace them both with actual CMI's not the Merc/CMI's. Merc in order to cut costs didn't have the the 500 headers heat treated, the actual CMI's are. There are lots of threads on this and a lot of guys with major headaches from those exhaust manifolds. I think CMI was repairing these for an nominal price. Might be worth the call and see.
Old 07-06-2011, 07:53 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Not sure if stock Merc or actual CMI. Is there a way to tell? Wasnt aware they could might be able to be repaired though. Ill call CMI, thank you.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:13 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cmi

Got Cigs,

What is the year of the motor/ header and how many hours are on them?

For fact and clarity, all CMI headers go through the annealing process and are built to stringent specifications.

Feel free to contact CMI directly at 920-722-7084, ask for David or Chris.
Old 07-06-2011, 10:36 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by endeavour32
Are these the stock Merc/CMI's that come on the EFI 500's? If so they are known to crack, leak and ruin your engine! Do yourself a favor and replace them both with actual CMI's not the Merc/CMI's. Merc in order to cut costs didn't have the the 500 headers heat treated, the actual CMI's are. There are lots of threads on this and a lot of guys with major headaches from those exhaust manifolds. I think CMI was repairing these for an nominal price. Might be worth the call and see.
Its the 525EFI CMI/Merc headers that have lots of issues with cracking and leaks.
The 500EFI headers are regular CMI E-tops and don't have nearly the amount of problems.
Old 07-06-2011, 01:28 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Called CMI, and talked to Dave. Very helpful. They might be able to repair, have to find out manufactor date. If too old, they wont repair them.

Motors are 2000, but supposedly motors were redone and new headers were put on 3-4 years ago.

Not sure if i did any damage to motors, or how much water got into motor. Got a late start on season, and just de-winterizing it now. I took all the plugs out and turned over motor, some water did come out. All the plugs were wet too. I was going to do compression test next. Anything else I should do or check?

Thank you all for the help.