Mercruiser cool fuel question

Notices

Mercruiser cool fuel question

Old 07-07-2011, 11:27 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mercruiser cool fuel question

Ok, i have a 2000 model year 454 MAG in a stingray230sx with 480 hours
recently(year 10 and year 11 only) i am experiencing the "vaporlock" after shutdown, if i run it hard, but this never happened until last year.
Now i dont kno of any changes, my mechanic says its probably recent changes in fuel etc etc.
My rack storage place printed out a mercruiser service bulliten detailing checking fuel temp / coolant hose checks etc and ending with a fuel pump(booster)kit that is supposedly on all newer mercruiser models.
I guess my big thing is why now?? Is the fuel quality really that different than say, 3/4 years ago when i ran it the same, if not a bit harder ?? And now all of a sudden i get this crap??
Im not a mechanic, but i do repair other equipment for a living, and the tech in me says something is failing??
Could my fuelpump be giving up after 11 years/480hours??
My mechanic says NO/ it either works or it doesnt.
I dunno but checking on the pump shows NLA from mercruiser and superceded by a pump and cooler kit.
Now i CAN find that pump online as a seperate piece but my question is
did mercruiser change the cooler? Or is it the same as the one on the motor now??
My mechanic says try the "booster" fuel pump kit first as its a lot easier to install, as the fuel cooler/pump may require engine up or out to install
does anybody kno for sure why mercruiser requires the cooler/pump purchase?? Instead of replacing the pump??
I just wish i could get some straight/detailed answers
i want my boat to start everytime lkke it used to or at least kno why versus this i dont kno for sure what will fix it
all i kno is it used to run hard and never failed to start back up
and thats all i want
thanks

Anybody with answers feel free to email me or call me
304-549-4816 my internet is spotty right now
using my fone to post this as i am desperate to get it right
Old 07-07-2011, 02:59 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

alcohol in fuel will lead to that...the whole system was a bandaid to me....added cool fuel after lots of issues, try keeping bilge blower on whole time running and for a few after shutdown....different boats and engine room size effect heat as it's just heat build up..cool the engine room...help the issue...Rob
Old 07-07-2011, 03:03 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yup. E10 blended fuels are the Devil.
The booster pumps so seem to work. What I found on my Baja was the fitting s from the tank to the fuel filter had become loose at the pickups. I took them all the way off and put some Teflon tape on the threads and all was fixed.
Old 07-07-2011, 03:25 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,816 Likes on 904 Posts

E10 will cause vapor lock on my 2000 502mpi's all the time if its hot and humid out. No problems at all when I run non ethanol fuel. I do not have the booster pumps.
Old 07-07-2011, 04:41 PM
Registered

Yep, been running the blower continuiously AND its a brand new blower
plus letting it idle for at least 5 minutes before shutdown but it seems not to help
gonna check all the lines and the vent to tbe tank as well but i guess im going to spring for the booster kit
nobody knows wether they upgraded tbe cooler they want u to buy with a new fuel pump??
Old 07-07-2011, 04:48 PM
Registered

Hey and thanks for all the replys
hopefully i can get this resolved cause i want that hatch for the bikini clad passengers versus open and in the way.
Old 07-07-2011, 11:45 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,816 Likes on 904 Posts

The good news is the booster pump kit will fix any vapor lock issues.