efi to carb?? >

efi to carb??

Notices

efi to carb??

Old 07-08-2011, 02:35 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default efi to carb??

Can I remove the efi part of my wire harness or do i need a new wire harness Thanks Guys..
Old 07-08-2011, 04:11 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the EFI part is separate, just remove that section and roll on..just did it..Rob
Old 07-08-2011, 08:19 PM
Registered

Thanks for the help...
Old 07-10-2011, 07:46 AM
Registered

Newbie here....what's the advantage of going carb over efi?
Old 07-10-2011, 12:36 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by tnc110
Newbie here....what's the advantage of going carb over efi?
Other than reduced fuel economy, harder starting, increased emissions, reduced resale value and generally speaking all-around bad idea, I suppose the ability to step back in time 30 years and relive the glory days of tuning something with a flat-head screwdriver are all advantages to a carburetor as I see them.
EFI isn't hard. Once it's tuned it is tuned. As long as you haven't altered the engine too much, replacement parts are all that are needed to maintain EFI.
Old 07-10-2011, 12:47 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Carbs are much easier in lots of ways. One u can tune them with out looking at a laptop hours on end. But the biggest thing I found for boost much much easier to set up. I hear so many horror stories with boost and efi. I know on my sleds the rx1 with crabs was the easier to set up with boost over my Nytro ,1200 skidoo, we will see what the z1 is like with big turbo and injectors. When I bought my boost boat I wanted carb for sure so happy I did turn key and has never even stalled yet LOVE IT!!!!

P.S. On bone stock factory stuff efi all the way

Last edited by skydog; 07-10-2011 at 02:38 PM.
Old 07-10-2011, 02:40 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just try to get a modded engine with mrec EFI to run right..yes can be done...but lots $$$$$$$ and a royal pain in the ass....worked on both....I'll take the carb deal for now...
Old 07-10-2011, 02:42 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ezstriper
just try to get a modded engine with mrec EFI to run right..yes can be done...but lots $$$$$$$ and a royal pain in the ass....worked on both....I'll take the carb deal for now...
Yes yes yes
Old 07-10-2011, 02:51 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It is NOT expensive to get a modded MEFI to operate correctly. Time consuming but not expensive. Been down that road supercharged and naturally aspirated many many times. It takes the right tools and the right know how to make it work.
To each his own.
Old 07-10-2011, 06:03 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonSmith
It is NOT expensive to get a modded MEFI to operate correctly. Time consuming but not expensive. Been down that road supercharged and naturally aspirated many many times. It takes the right tools and the right know how to make it work.
To each his own.
This pretty much nails it.

I can't possibly see why you would take off efi in favor of a carb. I have customers spending thousands to install efi in place of a carb. It does take some time to set up and tune properly, but so does a carb. I actually spend as much time, or more, tuning a carb engine. If you really want it right, it takes time changing jets, air bleeds and power valves. Carb engines are simplier, but once an efi engine is set up, it's done.
I can count on one hand how many efi sensors I have seen go bad. Most of the problems I see with efi are with the setup and tuning. It's not for the average mechanic. If you want an efi system that works great day in and day out, take it to someone that knows that system. I would say that 98% of the engines I build are efi. I do still build a few carb engines. Most of it is do to cost. On average, it runs about $3000-$4000 more than a carb setup. I my opinion, it is money well spent.
If you already have the efi, it makes sense to me to use it and make it work. It would probably be cheaper to make the efi work than it would be to buy a manifold, carb, etc.
Just my 2 cents.
Eddie

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.