Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Think I blew a drive or U-Joint HELP! >

Think I blew a drive or U-Joint HELP!

Notices

Think I blew a drive or U-Joint HELP!

Old 07-09-2011, 10:15 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Think I blew a drive or U-Joint HELP!

Hey guys,, was out last weekend on my Cobalt Condurre 269 with twin 350's backed by alpha drives. I was easing out of the hole and something made a bad squealing sound and then the right side motor revved freely. It didn't over rev but I have no power to the prop at all. I thought it was a spun hub but got a different prop and still the same thing. You can still put the drive in gear but no power gets transferred to the prop. I pulled the gear oil plug and the lube looks nice and green and is very clean (just serviced last fall) No signs of water or moisture and no signs of metal shavings. So I pulled the top plug and looked in the hole as I turned the propeller and the shaft is turning at the top of the drive. So I figure I busted either a u-joint or the top gear in the drive? Can you guys help me figure out what I busted? I'm ready to pull out my tools and tear into this myself. I'm not a boat mechanic but I have rebuilt car engines, lawn mower engines, etc. etc. What would I need to fix this myself. Thanks.
Old 07-09-2011, 11:04 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds to me like you spun the flywheel coupler. You would have heard a lot of clunking if it were the u-joint. Driveshaft could have broke at the top gear but that I don't think would have made a squealing noise. If it's the coupler drive will have to come off and the engine removed. Very common. Pull the drive first and see if it spins the prop when you turn the u-joints. Alpha's you put in forward when you remove them. Did you smell burnt rubber? Here's what they look like.
http://www.ebasicpower.com/c/MER6E/C...for+Mercruiser
Old 07-09-2011, 01:11 PM
Registered

Default hmmmm

I bet you nailed it. It definitely squealed then made a couple of weird noises but I wouldn't call it clunks. If I look at the drive shaft out of the back of the engine ,, if its not turning then it would be the coupler right?

Thanks
Old 07-09-2011, 01:43 PM
Registered

coupler
Old 07-10-2011, 03:39 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by johnfharding
I bet you nailed it. It definitely squealed then made a couple of weird noises but I wouldn't call it clunks. If I look at the drive shaft out of the back of the engine ,, if its not turning then it would be the coupler right?

Thanks
It may turn in neutral but not with a load on it in gear. Be carefull when running it to check. If the drive shaft isn't turning then the water pump which is in the drive isn't turning and you will over heat the engine.
Old 07-12-2011, 12:28 PM
Registered

Welcome to the Coupler Club....