Best way to add 02 sensor? >

Best way to add 02 sensor?

Notices

Best way to add 02 sensor?

Old 07-09-2011, 08:51 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best way to add 02 sensor?

Does anyone know the best way of adding bung for 02 sensor? I would think on the Merc riser would be the best? I was going to upgrade my carb and would like to measure A/F ratios.

Also, what type of A/F measuring device/procedure do you all use?

I am not a pro at this but try to learn and do my own work so any help from the professionals is appreciated.
Old 07-10-2011, 07:39 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by TEXASRPM
Does anyone know the best way of adding bung for 02 sensor? I would think on the Merc riser would be the best? I was going to upgrade my carb and would like to measure A/F ratios.

Also, what type of A/F measuring device/procedure do you all use?

I am not a pro at this but try to learn and do my own work so any help from the professionals is appreciated.
http://www.jegs.com/i/Innovate-Motor...oductId=774546

What do you all think of this meter?
Old 07-10-2011, 12:29 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

You are on the right track by thinking wideband O2. I have the Holley MPI kit with the wideband kit. It makes tuning very easy and accurate. I have the EMI exhaust with the long stainless risers. The O2 bung is located in the elbo on the riser. I have seen a spacer with a bung, it fits between the stock manifold and riser. That may work for you but I am not sure were I saw it at.
Old 07-10-2011, 02:26 PM
Registered

Received 110 Likes on 82 Posts

Texas,

I JUST did this two days ago. I bought a spacer that fits between the manifold and riser which is tapped for an O2 sensor. Dennis Moore sells one as does Wags Engineering (the one I bought) and I believe Dana marine has one too, but it looks a little specific to their exhaust. I'd recommend either of the first two if you go the spacer route. Cost about $90-95. The Dana unit is more expensive.

I bought the Innovative MTX wide band gauge as a stand alone unit (paid about $189 or so for it). Fit perfectly into the spacer block and that got sandwiched between the manifold and riser. I found the MTX easy to calibrate (took like 30 seconds). I'm using it for a modified SBC using a Merc EFI system.

I've only got about 5 minutes on the motor running on the stand but it works great so far.

The other option is to order new exhaust with the bungs welded in. I've also heard of people drilling, tapping and welding the bungs on stock manifolds.
Old 07-10-2011, 07:35 PM
Registered

Default Thanks!

Originally Posted by Trash
Texas,

I JUST did this two days ago. I bought a spacer that fits between the manifold and riser which is tapped for an O2 sensor. Dennis Moore sells one as does Wags Engineering (the one I bought) and I believe Dana marine has one too, but it looks a little specific to their exhaust. I'd recommend either of the first two if you go the spacer route. Cost about $90-95. The Dana unit is more expensive.

I bought the Innovative MTX wide band gauge as a stand alone unit (paid about $189 or so for it). Fit perfectly into the spacer block and that got sandwiched between the manifold and riser. I found the MTX easy to calibrate (took like 30 seconds). I'm using it for a modified SBC using a Merc EFI system.

I've only got about 5 minutes on the motor running on the stand but it works great so far.

The other option is to order new exhaust with the bungs welded in. I've also heard of people drilling, tapping and welding the bungs on stock manifolds.
The item from Wags Engineering looks like the ticket. I believe I can install permanently and just install the included plug.