Notices

Thumper Cam

Old 07-10-2011, 01:17 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Thumper Cam

We just got this 21 Foot Scarab. Its got a 350 with Vortec heads and Edelbrock intake on it. The engine was rebuilt last year its fairly fresh. I am in the process of some major fuel system up grades and ignition up grades. I have the dudes number that had it before the last guy I got it from so I can find out what was done to the motor. The motor runs smooth no lumpy idle.

I am not going to do it right a way but I wanted to get your guys prospective on the Thumper cam. I beleive there good from about a grand up through about 5500 which woulc be good for a boat. I want that nasy lumpity Lumpty idle it already has the through hull exhaust so why not put this in down the road?

I already know to do the valve spring up grade check for spring binding replace the valve seals while you got it appart etc. Just want to know what you guys think of the cam?

What do you guys think?
Old 07-10-2011, 07:41 AM
Registered

Received 83 Likes on 42 Posts

i think the cam is ok for a car, but its not advised to use a cam for auto in a boat, and i think many will agree
Old 07-10-2011, 08:48 AM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Your new here so I will take it easy on you, there is way more to it than throwing in a THUMPER CAM. You will need exhaust, oil system upgrade and numerous other parts to make it all work. Marine cams are set up different than car cams. With a name like BAD ASS SCARAB I am a little disapointed. With that name you should have twin 1000HP engines running 100MPH. Maybe a name like SLOW SCARAB, or WANABE SCARAB would be more better
Old 07-10-2011, 09:51 AM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Old 07-10-2011, 09:55 AM
Registered

Default Jeffs

Well Jeffs wavs I didnt come on here for you to be and judgemental ass. I just wanted to get some ideas from the guys on here and get there feed back.

Sorry if I don't have a huge wad of cash to suit you. I was pretty impressed with the guys on here untill you put up your condensinding response.

I have been building engines a long time probably longer than you. I have built numerous muscle cars and know engines inside and out I not a dumb ass.

I have a 65 GTO convertible that I have restored from the ground up and its pushing about 450 HP.

I also have a 69 Coronet RT Convert Matching no 440 Mag power windows power top factory AC Factory Hemi Orange
You wouldnt know a 440 if it bit you in the ass!

So take your condinsending opinons and stick it where the sun dont shine!

I didnt come on here to take this kind of S##t from you or anybody eles!

All I was asking was some imput on the Thumper Cam
I didnt see any place on my Q and A about please give me some un called for S##T from some ill educated person as your self!
Old 07-10-2011, 10:10 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The LSA of that series of camshafts is 107 degrees, rendering it a reversion risk unless you are running a dry exhaust. Look for a camshaft with less overlap, an LSA of 112+.
Old 07-10-2011, 10:16 AM
Registered

Default Thank you !

See that is what I needed. I can build Auto Engines but not sure on marine application as far as cams.

Nice to see some professional helpfull people on here.

Old 07-10-2011, 11:48 AM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by BAD ASS SCARAB
Well Jeffs wavs I didnt come on here for you to be and judgemental ass. I just wanted to get some ideas from the guys on here and get there feed back.

Sorry if I don't have a huge wad of cash to suit you. I was pretty impressed with the guys on here untill you put up your condensinding response.

I have been building engines a long time probably longer than you. I have built numerous muscle cars and know engines inside and out I not a dumb ass.

I have a 65 GTO convertible that I have restored from the ground up and its pushing about 450 HP.

I also have a 69 Coronet RT Convert Matching no 440 Mag power windows power top factory AC Factory Hemi Orange
You wouldnt know a 440 if it bit you in the ass!

So take your condinsending opinons and stick it where the sun dont shine!

I didnt come on here to take this kind of S##t from you or anybody eles!

All I was asking was some imput on the Thumper Cam
I didnt see any place on my Q and A about please give me some un called for S##T from some ill educated person as your self!
Don't take things so personal. When you pick out a name like BADD ASS SCARAB, that seems pretty cocky. I don't call myself BADD ASS BAJA, and I am sure my boat is way faster than yours.
To answer your question, that cam is not made for a boat. I do know a guy that has a boat like yours with a 383 stroker. He has it running about 72 MPH, I still would not call it a BADD ASS SCARAB.
Take some time and do a little research, there are 100's of post hear that talk about cams. A lot of us use RMbuilder for custom roller cams, when you are serious give him a call and he will give you a education about marine engines.
The best thing to do would be to leave it alone and enjoy boating and do not let the speed bug get you.
Old 07-10-2011, 02:25 PM
Registered

Ok Point taken

I did not or do I imply I have a Bad Ass Scarab every body on here thinks I have some inflated ego and my boat is better than anybodys eles. That is furthur from the truth. I am very grounded and I am not that way ok guys. Its just a user name not to be takin litterly ok?

I was thinking about puting in a cam way down the road . Just thinking about it. If I got 50 mph out of it I would be happy with it right now.

So I want to get somthing clear guys. I dont have a Bad Ass Scarab its just a user name and that is it . I probably have the slowest boat in this group of guys on here.

I am just here to talk to othere guys and get there prespective and if I have any knowledge on a subject try and help out.
I will take your advice and just go ahead with the upgrades for fuel and ignition sytem and get the engine componets Coast Guard Approved
Is that cool? Thanks Guys.
The guy with the slowest boat on the internet
Old 07-10-2011, 02:27 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Is that like a 3/4 race cam or an RV cam? Both are HOT!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.