Notices

BW Trans question

Old 07-10-2011, 11:37 AM
10M
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default BW Trans question

Hey guys,
I have a feeling the answers are not going to be good, but here goes...

'88 10 Meter w/stock 454s and Borg Warner trans, TRS

Was running pretty hard the other day and one of the tachs jumped up to 5k. It was a little choppy so I figured it might have cavitated. I let off, it hooked again so rolled back to crusing speed, everything was ok. On the way home I took off out of a no wake zone a little faster than normal and it slipped again. Again I figured cavitation becasue this has happened once or twice while getting on plane. When I got home, was flushing the motors and my buddy noticed the prop spinning when in neutral.....this points to tranny and supports the slippage....

Fluid looks/smells normal. Is there any adjustment in these? Any hope NOT pulling/replacing? Any thoughts are appreciated.
Old 07-10-2011, 02:18 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Prop spinning in neutral while running out of the water is normal. Don't believe there are any external adjustments you can make besides the shift cable. Maybe it could be the prop hub slipping though I think it would be doing it more often. But then you would think the trans would be doing it more often also.

Last edited by picklenjim; 07-10-2011 at 02:22 PM.
Old 07-10-2011, 08:48 PM
10M
Registered

I've seen the props rotate a little, but this one spins pretty fast and the other one barely spins at all in neutral (on trailer @ idle). Also my buddy said it was spinning faster this time than last time.

Could it be that the cable needs to be adjusted, and the revving was just cavitation? Or does a worn-out trans mean it stays engaged and slips? I have no idea how these work.

I wouldn't have thought twice about the revving bc I wrote it off as cavitation, but the fact that one prop spins in neutral and the other doesn't has me thinking. Also I've never had it cavitate while planed off @ speed, those TRS's are pretty deep and i'm careful about throttling when it comes out of the water.
Old 07-11-2011, 03:18 PM
10M
Registered

TTT

Any ideas on this?

Thanks for any replies
Old 07-11-2011, 03:34 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the tranny slips it doesn't spin.
Old 07-11-2011, 03:58 PM
Registered

Received 1,206 Likes on 579 Posts

Originally Posted by 10M
TTT

Any ideas on this?

Thanks for any replies
If you already haven't done it, change you fluid. Mine was slipping last year and it was due to water in the tranny fluid. Had tranny rebuilt this winter.
Old 07-11-2011, 04:08 PM
Registered

Default tranny

Mine has been doing the same thing for 2 years and I am pulling the motor and trans this week. I was told the clutchs are sticking together. My mechanic said it would be fine just a little harder to dock around the docks. The only reason I am rebuilding it now is because we have to pull the motor to install a new flywheel on that motor. Run the he!! out of it and it should be fine for this season.
Old 07-11-2011, 04:27 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fixx

the trans may be sucking air..the aZZ end of the fountains sit so low in the water and when you go to plane off all the transmission fluid goes to the back of the trans and the pick up tube in the trans is forward..theirs a modification you can have done to the pick up tube,,it can be extended to the rear of the trans so it wont suck air..

If you change the fluid make sure you use "F" type.
Old 07-11-2011, 06:17 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeyFIN
If the tranny slips it doesn't spin.
Slipping while underway has nothing to do with the prop spinning while running in neutral on the trailer. If it loses pump pressure to the clutch pack momentarily it will slip as Fixx mentioned. When the prop spins like that in neutral with zero load on the prop either the plates are dragging a little due to some warpage or the clutch pack is setup a little tight. The fluid spinning between the plates can be making them all spin together also. Whatever spinning on the trailer while in neutral is pretty normal.
Old 07-12-2011, 08:43 AM
10M
Registered

Originally Posted by picklenjim
Slipping while underway has nothing to do with the prop spinning while running in neutral on the trailer. If it loses pump pressure to the clutch pack momentarily it will slip as Fixx mentioned. When the prop spins like that in neutral with zero load on the prop either the plates are dragging a little due to some warpage or the clutch pack is setup a little tight. The fluid spinning between the plates can be making them all spin together also. Whatever spinning on the trailer while in neutral is pretty normal.
Ok thanks that's what I wanted to know. Was just a little confused about why one spins and one doesn't...and the one that spins goes pretty fast now. They used to act the same @ idle in neutral, so something changed. I will change the fluid and try it again, keeping an eye on whether it gets worse. Warped plates wouldn't surprise me I guess, she's an old gal and I have no idea what kind of service and usage the trans have had in their 23 years.

Thanks again.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.