Notices

Reversion??

Old 07-10-2011, 02:13 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reversion??

I have a Howard hydraulic roller cam Lift 0,587/0,612 @ 0.50 int 230/exh236 Adv dur 288/294 Lobe 112. in a 502cui 8,8:1 comp,Stainless marine exhaust TRS wet style,tailpipes approx 20 inch from the manifolds where the water and exhausts mixes in a rubber bellow thru the transom,i can see some moisture in the tailpipes and manifolds but the engine oil is perfect,i have driven the boat at 3-4000 rpms and still the engine oil is perfect not a drop of water.the engines have been on idle a lot can this cause the reversion???
Old 07-10-2011, 02:30 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

You should be OK, the specs are similar to mine. I have the EMI's with long risers, similar to what you have. Reversion is a problem when idling and low RPM. When you first start the engine condensation will come out of the engine. So make sure you check it after the engine is up to temp. You can pull the riser and take a look in the manifold after you have been idling a while.
I had a reversion problem when I had factory exhaust and aftermarket cam, moisture would build up under the valve covers, behind timing chain and the oil would get trashed.
Old 07-11-2011, 01:15 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

I doubt you have reversion with that cam. Its almost the same as a Crane 731. The moisture you are seeing is probably just some condensation.
Old 12-12-2011, 07:28 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

i had the same moisture issue with my gils. from what i read the thermostat housing was causing the problem becuase the water was too cold when going through the manifolds which makes sense, cold water, hot exhaust... i switched to a housing that is wha tthey used on most of the hp500 motors, i have not noticed any issues since then
Old 12-12-2011, 11:30 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by regalman4925
i had the same moisture issue with my gils. from what i read the thermostat housing was causing the problem becuase the water was too cold when going through the manifolds which makes sense, cold water, hot exhaust... i switched to a housing that is wha tthey used on most of the hp500 motors, i have not noticed any issues since then
So you kept the same thermostat and switched to a bigger housing? Do you have a pic?
Old 12-12-2011, 01:50 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

check out this link

http://www.perfprotech.com/store/art...ling-tips.aspx

i i was running no thermostat at all, advice from a good friend that runs 1500+hp in a 31 chris cat. i now run a 160 degree with the warm manifold style housing you see in the pics. i noticed this when i pulled a manifold and found moisture in the lower part of it, i thought i had a cracked manifold so i pressure checked everything. everything checked out ok on pressure checking aso i started researching and i ran across the info above. as far as i have noticed it corrected the problem.
Old 12-12-2011, 06:08 PM
Registered

Great info, thank you.