Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
alum heads/intake and perf exhaust worth it? >

alum heads/intake and perf exhaust worth it?

Notices

alum heads/intake and perf exhaust worth it?

Old 07-11-2011, 08:53 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default alum heads/intake and perf exhaust worth it?

So I have to pull the engines for new couplers would doing aluminum edelbroc heads and intake along with some kind of performance exhaust be worthwhile on stock 1986 mere 260 350 small blocks? or just look them over maybe just put a new set of valve springs on both and set them back in. I already have one set of heads and in take just thoughit would be fun to hop it up while the motors are out . Just looking for better efficiency,lighter weight and maybe gain a mph or two
Old 07-11-2011, 09:04 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

The speed bug gets expensive, I got bit and ended up spending more than I ever planned and still want more power If you are happy with the boat I would leave it alone. But I you do want to build them up there are a few things that can be done pretty cheap and get a few more horses
Old 07-11-2011, 09:24 PM
Registered

Default Speed bug I don't know

You know honestly, I never bought this boat to be fast. It runs good for me and while a few Horse power on the cheap would be great. I can take it or leave it. I have older style edelbrock heads that are brand new along with an intake, setting on a 355 in my garage that I haven't used,, I just thought hey for the price of heads and intake I could have aluminum top ends on the motors and shave some weight off the boat which might help it get on plane easier and may even get me some performance to boot. Just don't want to screw up a good thing, motors were running good,, so maybe I shouldn't mess with it. The boat is a Cobalt Condurre 269 and its never going to be a speed demon by any stretch of the imagination.
Old 07-11-2011, 09:40 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

If your gonna take it down that far might as well put in some cams. Marine cams are different than automotive and I'm sure some of the cam guys will chime in on what would work good in your application. The next thing is will your carbs bolt to the intake or will you need new carbs or maybe use adapters to bolt them up, that's your call but a good marine carb ain't cheap and you will need two of everything as well. I'm not trying to talk you out of it by all means but definitely look at the whole picture before you rip this thing apart mid season and miss time on the water.
Old 07-11-2011, 10:34 PM
Registered

Default hmm

Yeah, I wasn't sure if I would need cams figure going bigger may be worse than leaving them stock. With small displacement unless the stock ones are just really lame.
Old 07-15-2011, 10:42 PM
Registered

Default Any other advice on modding 260's

They have 500 hours plus. Would aluminum heads be worthwhile? I only have to get one set,, I already own the other.
Old 07-15-2011, 11:12 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by 87MagnumII
The speed bug gets expensive, I got bit and ended up spending more than I ever planned and still want more power If you are happy with the boat I would leave it alone. But I you do want to build them up there are a few things that can be done pretty cheap and get a few more horses
Wow, thats pretty good advice. There is no cure for the Speed Bug, leave it stock and have fun boating !!!!
Old 07-16-2011, 12:06 PM
Registered

Default stock heads

Should I mess with valve springs? As a maintenance thing? Or just leave it alone
Old 07-16-2011, 07:03 PM
Registered

Cmi headers would wake up those motors . Cam, roller rockers and aluminum heads you'll get some good extra HP .
Old 07-16-2011, 10:07 PM
Registered

Default Thanks

I would love to do that just for the cool / custom factor. If it looks fast, and it sounds fast, then how many people really need to know if it is fast. LOL

Speed wise I guess I won't be hauling azz too often. But as one person stated on another thread.. He thinks these boat are really heavy in the azz and thought that extra weight contributed to a porpoising problem that many of them have.

Raylar 550's with some serious drives and steering would be fun, but I'm not rich and that would be one of those things I would do if I won the lotto.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.