Hydraulic Helm >

Hydraulic Helm

Notices

Hydraulic Helm

Old 07-20-2011, 09:59 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Hydraulic Helm

Currently I have the factory cable operated steering helm controlling an imco single ram external steering system. This is an add on system useing the original power steering pump. The cable, steering helm and the steering valve all have developed a small amount of slop that added together amount to more steering wheel slop than I would like. Its approximattely 1/8 of a turn of the steering wheel play. Will a full Hydraulic helm eliminate this, and can this simply be added to what I currently have.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:05 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by tbanzer
Will a full Hydraulic helm eliminate this, and can this simply be added to what I currently have.
Yes, it will eliminate the play. You will need the helm unit, fluid filter, overflow tank (optional), 3 lengths of high pressure hose, 1 length of low pressure hose, and some fittings. You might have to change out your steering post and wheel.

I did this job myself and I'm certainly not the worlds greatest mechanic. The hardest part of the job for me was cutting the HP hose.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:33 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I still have a spare Helm for sale.
Ken
Old 07-20-2011, 12:06 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

I have to do the same to mine. Only difference with mine is I have the dual rams. Also, at idle, turning right now is a pain in the butt as it's pretty stiff. Can anyone confirm that once I put in the full hydraulic that the steering will be easier to turn again??
Old 07-20-2011, 03:39 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

just going to post about mine...have a dual ram add on machine marine steering, and it's very hard at slow speeds, they are away on vacation so can't find out anything from them...not sure if it's normal or not...did disconnect the cable and it's free, so not that, but it's so still with engine off you cannot turn it...and it seems in the cylinders as moving the drive it moves fine...just hard thru the cylinders ?? any ideas ? sorry to jack the thread....but so close...
Old 07-20-2011, 06:00 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by ezstriper
just going to post about mine...have a dual ram add on machine marine steering, and it's very hard at slow speeds, they are away on vacation so can't find out anything from them...not sure if it's normal or not...did disconnect the cable and it's free, so not that, but it's so still with engine off you cannot turn it...and it seems in the cylinders as moving the drive it moves fine...just hard thru the cylinders ?? any ideas ? sorry to jack the thread....but so close...
Are you talking with the hydraulic helm or still with the cable? From what I understand, it's going to be stiff with the cable, but should get better when going to full hydro. I was looking for feedback before I did it myself.......
The following users liked this post:
WR-1 (05-24-2022)
Old 07-20-2011, 07:09 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Added full imco hyd. steering to my cig over the winter.(dual bravo setup with unimount that has the rams between the drives) Wasn't hard to do and makes a world of difference in steering/handling.
Old 07-21-2011, 07:07 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

yes, mine still has the cable helm, with the machine marine dual ram setup..just got the boat running so did not know what was normal ? also been told that because of the layout of the dash(253 checkmate) some hyd helms won't fit...
Old 07-21-2011, 07:55 AM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by wayne272
Added full imco hyd. steering to my cig over the winter.(dual bravo setup with unimount that has the rams between the drives) Wasn't hard to do and makes a world of difference in steering/handling.
Did you buy direct from Imco or do they have distributors. What did you add and what were you able to use from what you had originally.
Old 07-21-2011, 08:01 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

The steering will definitely soften up with the full hyd. helm. It will not be super easy, but will be soft, yet firm if that makes any sense.
Once you go to full hyd, you will never go back. You will never want a boat without it.

As for the Checkmate, I just installed a Mayfair in a 283 Convincor and still have to install one in a 253 that is in the shop now. No problems with the helm fitting.
Eddie

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.