Oil pressure drops to zero >

Oil pressure drops to zero

Notices

Oil pressure drops to zero

Old 07-23-2011, 03:53 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yea, I have plenty of oil in it. The dip stick is one of the side dip sticks that goes in with little angle. I am well above full. It sucks all the oil up into the engine when it is running. Does anyone have any feedback on the T connector and what might be on the other side of the T. My brother has mech oil pressure gauge, but can't reach him, so will have to pick one up. It does look like a sealant was used on the sender.
Old 07-23-2011, 04:11 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by stevesxm
helpful advice # 56 ... revving the motor when you suspect no oil pressure is NOT the gold standard for diagnostics...
, I concur!!!! Before you even think of doing ANYTHING else put a mechanical gauge on it and see wtf is going on, Smitty
Old 07-23-2011, 04:22 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Courtholl
Yea, I have plenty of oil in it. The dip stick is one of the side dip sticks that goes in with little angle. I am well above full.
"Well above full" is bad. The oil gets frothed up from the crank spinning in it.
Old 07-23-2011, 04:50 PM
Registered

The dipstick was just an idea. I saw a guy use a "sweet chrome" one that was too long...and showed full when it was almost empty. You said it shows good oil pressure at idle right ? Is that all the time at idle ?
Old 07-23-2011, 05:23 PM
Registered

Alarm is not going off, but I am not sure the alarm is hooked up now, as it does not sound when I turn the key to the power on position, which it did with the last engine. Was in it messing around with the wires etc. The way the oil pressure sending unit is set up, it comes out of the engine and is connected to a T type fitting. The oil pressure sending unit is on one side and some other fitting with two wires is on the other side of the T.

When the power is off, the pressure reads between 20-40. Start it up and it goes to 50-60. Review to about 1,000 and it drops to zero. Drop back down to idle and it flickers between 0 and 60. When revving the engine, it will flicker between 0-80. I can't tell if I have more blow by or not. If I stop and restart and stay at idle, it will stay between 50-60.

When I stop the engine and check the oil, the oil is really low, so seems like the oil is getting up into the engine. After a couple minutes all he oil is back in the pan.

so ... when you ran it the first two times and the oil drained back fine, what could have changed to make the oil not drain back now... and where do you think it all could be ? the lifter valley somehow ? thats a lot of oil to put somewhere .. about 500 cubic inches worth of space...
Old 07-23-2011, 05:43 PM
Registered
Gold Member

All the oil drains back, it just takes time to show up on the dipstick. Mainly because it does not go straight down and in, but at a really soft angle; about 15 degrees off perpendicular to the engine. Just got a mechanical gauge. Going to get working on it and see what happens.
Old 07-23-2011, 06:31 PM
Registered

If it aint the sender...then I'm sticking with my first guess that the pickup tube came off the pump.
Old 07-23-2011, 06:59 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fixx

1) im with tin,,your pick up came off or

2) do you have screens epoxied in the drain holes in the front,on top of the cam and rear of the block?

3) or are you using 80w90 for oil
Old 07-23-2011, 09:36 PM
Registered
Gold Member

I put the mechanical gauge on it and I have pressure. Good pressure. I am guessing the sending unit is no longer good. Not sure if it was a new oil pressure sending unit or not. I was pretty sure I had pressure.
Old 07-23-2011, 10:23 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Fixx

I put the mechanical gauge on it and I have pressure. Good pressure. I am guessing the sending unit is no longer good. Not sure if it was a new oil pressure sending unit or not. I was pretty sure I had pressure.
may not be the correct unit to gauge,wrong ohme range,,,gafrig and livoursi has their own senders for their gauges.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.