Installing oil coolers on a smallblock alpha, crossover set up >

Installing oil coolers on a smallblock alpha, crossover set up

Notices

Installing oil coolers on a smallblock alpha, crossover set up

Old 07-27-2011, 12:04 AM
Registered

Received 91 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Installing oil coolers on a smallblock alpha, crossover set up

How would you plumb it???......engines are mildly hopped up, after about 10 - 15min running 4500 rpm the oil temp starts to head toward 300 on both and I have to slow down even with 8 quart pans.....

The engine builder says with the steel cranks, forged pistons and Bowtie angle plug heads I could put much hotter cams in them and spin them to 5500 which I would like to do but that would heat the oil even more...

How would you plumb such a thing theres only the drive mounted impeller and one big hose leading to the bottom of the crossover...D
Attached Thumbnails Installing oil coolers on a smallblock alpha, crossover set up-dsc01248.jpg  
Old 07-28-2011, 09:02 AM
RIPSTA Racing Team
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What are your water temps reading when oil is 300*? Where are you pulling the oil temp from? Do you have a sea water pick up thru the hull? I pull my temps from the oil pans where the oil is being picked up and fed to the engine. If your picking the temp up after its run thru the engine bearings it's going to be hot!

You'd need a remote oil filter adapter with an in and out port. Plumb out to a cooler and back in to the filter. Then you would need a water supply to the cooler. Sea water would work best. A simple thru hull pick up plumbed to the cooler. I would also use some sort of strainer before the cooler to prevent the cooler from being clogged with debris. You should be able to use this witout a pump since while under way water would be forced thru the system. Then you would need to dump the water after the cooler overboard. You could also plumb it into your existing cooling system before the exh. manifolds and water would dump out thru the exhaust, however the water would not be as cool coming thru the engine. I wouldn't pull any water from before the engine system as this could effect your engine water temps.

Personally I wouldn't worry too much about 300* oil temp so lond as your water temps are normal and oil temp doesn't get too much hotter than that and cool right down after you throttle down.

As for you installing hotter cams? Watch out for reversion and where your peak TQ range is. With small blocks you could kill your bottom end range trying to reach a WOT range just for the sake of spinning a higher rpm.
Old 07-28-2011, 08:05 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

my sonic came with oil coolers on the small blocks alpha package the part number is 89690t if you look up the 320efi engines on mercruiserparts there's a diagram
Old 07-28-2011, 08:34 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pullmytrigger
How would you plumb it???......engines are mildly hopped up, after about 10 - 15min running 4500 rpm the oil temp starts to head toward 300 on both and I have to slow down even with 8 quart pans.....

The engine builder says with the steel cranks, forged pistons and Bowtie angle plug heads I could put much hotter cams in them and spin them to 5500 which I would like to do but that would heat the oil even more...

How would you plumb such a thing theres only the drive mounted impeller and one big hose leading to the bottom of the crossover...D
Doug, I'm starting holidays today but give me a call at the start of the week and i can fill you in on the total package.

Sean
Old 07-29-2011, 04:25 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pullmytrigger

I used the 502 mpi cooler mounted in the front of the engine the stock BB lower line fit I just had to make an upper line w push lock fittings & my oil stays around 230