Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Is it bad for a boat to sit un used? >

Is it bad for a boat to sit un used?

Notices

Is it bad for a boat to sit un used?

Old 08-14-2011, 05:43 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it bad for a boat to sit un used?

I have a friend who is has a 1996 202 Crownline with a 350 carb/alpha that has a 100 hrs on it. The boat has been sitting un-used for 3 seasons. Is this bad or hard on a boat?
Old 08-14-2011, 05:54 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by 95outlaw
I have a friend who is has a 1996 202 Crownline with a 350 carb/alpha that has a 100 hrs on it. The boat has been sitting un-used for 3 seasons. Is this bad or hard on a boat?
It kind of depends what was done to the boat before it sat and what happened to it while it sat. For instance, if the boat was properly winterized, the oils & gear lube changed, the gas stabilized, the hull properly supported, etc., you'd have maximized the chances of it waking up in pretty good shape.

While it was sitting, if it were protected from the weather, water was prevented from gathering in the boat and excess moisture didn't lead to all sorts of wood rot or mold issues, you'd again maximize your chances of it waking up OK.

If you don't know the answers to the above questions, a good marine surveyor can give you most of them.

I do hope it works out for you. That's the vinatge of Crownlines I like best.
Old 08-14-2011, 11:28 PM
Registered

Thanks for the reply. The boat was winterized properly engine fogged, fuel stabalizer added and fluids changed. It is stored in a non-heated shop but always undercover. Sounds like there shouldn't be any problems.
Old 08-15-2011, 01:52 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

It will need to have the fuel drained after 3 years of sitting. You should also rotate the engine over once in a while so the same valve springs aren't compressed for that long.
Old 08-15-2011, 05:29 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 179 Likes on 66 Posts

Good point. And I'd put an impeller in it before trying to start it. I'd also check the bellows and shift boot for dry rot.
Old 08-15-2011, 07:37 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Should be fine. Like they said make sure you replace your water pump impellers and try and get all that old gas out unless there is not much in the tank then I would just fill it up.

Last edited by Audiofn; 08-15-2011 at 07:43 AM.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:01 AM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

Check the floor closely. Crownline did not go to XL plywood until '98. Earlier boats are notorious for developing soft floors. If the boat was kept dry it shouldn't be an issue but it wouldn't hurt to check.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:04 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Replace oil, lubes and filters too. Check the drained fluids for water and moisture. Check spark plugs, leads, ignition and everything rubber, like bellows as mentioned, hoses, wires, everything. If storage has not been heated, condensation might very well have been an issue.
Cars, boats, motercycles - they generally don't like to sit.
For the first time, run a good fuel, 91 minimum if there is a little gas left, but get the old gas out, and check it for goo. Sometimes old gas gets gooey, and that stuff can block lines, injectors ect.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:38 AM
Registered

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

I bought a boat that had been stored for a long period and had it surveyed. The mechanic that was supposed to run the compression check on the motor didn't, and told me he did. I ended up finding out that cylinders 2 and 8 were rusted some time later. I'm now in the middle of a major overhaul. Make sure you check out the motor thoroughly.
Old 08-15-2011, 08:56 AM
Registered

Motors don't like to sit . I'd check everything like every one talked about. Then I would put it on a hose and run it checking everything . Make sure your hose has good pressure so you can run the boat for a little while . Check your drive make sure it gos in and out of gear properly. Listen to the engine for ticking or knocking . Then do a compression check .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.