Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
need a hei distributor for a 94 502 EFI >

need a hei distributor for a 94 502 EFI

Notices

need a hei distributor for a 94 502 EFI

Old 08-20-2011, 02:45 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Mine has a arrestor in the base of the distributor. Are you saying that there are no sparks inside a distributor? Thats how they work right? Sounds like thousands of sparks per minute to me. Not trying to argue here but I thought this topic has been beat to death here and that auto distributors can go BOOM !!!!!
Old 08-20-2011, 03:25 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffswav
Mine has a arrestor in the base of the distributor. Are you saying that there are no sparks inside a distributor? Thats how they work right? Sounds like thousands of sparks per minute to me. Not trying to argue here but I thought this topic has been beat to death here and that auto distributors can go BOOM !!!!!
Jeff, You are COMPLETELY right, I was thinking about the bottom end of the distributer and never thought about the cap rotor!! I'll have to look at my oem distributer but just don't remember any uscg marks on it, Smitty
Old 08-20-2011, 03:27 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by articfriends
We are talking a gen v 502 EFI distributer, module just converts the signal so mefi can use it, timing is completely controlled by efi programming. The older thunderbolts had some kind of timing module but efi is different, I had my MSD fail on vacation in N/H, walked into autoparts store and bought a off the shelf 1995 tbi 5.7/350 distributer, works good, Smitty
Isn't that Distributor the same as my HP500efi gen 6 one?

Ive been buying the acdelco modules hoping alittle better quality over autozone.Also replaced the pickup in it with delco,prob could of bought a hole new one for what the 2 cost
Attached Thumbnails need a hei distributor for a 94 502 EFI-dsc08021.jpg   need a hei distributor for a 94 502 EFI-media1.jpeg  

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 08-20-2011, 03:29 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388
Isn't that Distributor the same as my HP500efi gen 6 one?

Ive been buying the acdelco modules hoping alittle better quality over autozone.Also replaced the pickup in it with delco,prob could of bought a hole new one for what the 2 cost
One and the same as far as I know, never had no module problems with the oem or auto parts store one, the msd rotted apart internally in record time, Smitty
Old 08-20-2011, 05:00 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Now I'm not sure which ones are which but the modules are not all the same....they timing curve is controlled by the ecm, yes, but there are different curves are something built into them, GM has a bunch of differnt ones that all interchange..also some marine ones use that dist without a ECM..and the timing curve works...have 2 sitting 30' behind me right now in my Gibson...to set timing you unplug a 2 pin connector, flip it over, set base timing, then flip back into the run side....if you forget(which I did once) NO power...
Old 08-20-2011, 10:16 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Originally Posted by articfriends
One and the same as far as I know, never had no module problems with the oem or auto parts store one, the msd rotted apart internally in record time, Smitty
Ive been having them stop firing before,maybe corrosion ? motor has no fire,swap out, fires up,even put alittle dialitric(sp) still probs with them,not sure why?

Old 08-20-2011, 10:33 PM
Rob
VIP Member

winter teardown

tried painting the floor black Merc paint doesnt work,coating it with dia grease did better.
Attached Thumbnails need a hei distributor for a 94 502 EFI-3-8-09-034.jpg   need a hei distributor for a 94 502 EFI-3-8-09-046.jpg   need a hei distributor for a 94 502 EFI-3-8-09-037-large-.jpg  

need a hei distributor for a 94 502 EFI-boat-3-4-09-043-large-.jpg   need a hei distributor for a 94 502 EFI-whipples-3-15-05-001-large-.jpg  

Last edited by Strip Poker 388; 08-21-2011 at 09:58 AM.
Old 08-20-2011, 10:43 PM
Rob
VIP Member

mo
Attached Thumbnails need a hei distributor for a 94 502 EFI-hustler-interior-pick-up-089-large-.jpg   need a hei distributor for a 94 502 EFI-hustler-interior-pick-up-010-large-.jpg  

Old 08-21-2011, 08:10 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

they also do that on the street as well...caps/rotors corrode badly...coating everything with dia/grease helps for sure
Old 08-21-2011, 12:52 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jeffswav
The automotive/truck distributor also has the screen in the base of the distributor. They are identical to a marine distributor (pick one up in an automotive junk yard sometime and compare them).

Most people don't realize that the GM small (gear reduction) starter from an automotive/truck application is also identical to the marine starter. The gear reduction mechanism between the bushes/commutator and the pinion gear acts as a flame arrestor making it USCG approved without special marine starter modifications.

Dennis

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.