outboard conversion >

outboard conversion

Notices

outboard conversion

Old 08-21-2011, 10:57 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default outboard conversion

So I have been throwing around the idea of converting the formula to a single outboard... I like the car motor sound, but hate working on them. what can I say, i think im an o/b guy at heart!!

I know the obvious things like making plugs for the transom holes and glassing them in, making knee braces and glassing them in, beyound that I dont have much of a clue. I plan to use a bracket, so I guess I am looking for ideas of how to run everything out the back to the motor, and more importantly how do you know where to bolt the bracket? I am sure there is a way that you take measurements to figur it out, but I have no idea how.

Any points to a thread with this being done would be helpful too. I did a couple of searched with little success.
Old 08-21-2011, 03:24 PM
Registered

Received 792 Likes on 447 Posts

Here is the link to Armstrong Brackets

http://www.armstrongnautical.com

The bracket order form gives the details/dimensions of what the company requires:

http://www.armstrongnautical.com/brackform_new.htm

I Believe a template come with the bracket for your bolt location points as the bracket is pre-drilled. If I am wrong with Armstrong, you would need a buddy to help hold it in place and mark the first few holes to get a few bolts in and finish drilling after that

I have emailed/ spoke with them in the past and they are more than will to answer any questions that you may have...and their one bracket model can hold up to multiple Merc 350's - so they can cover from mild to wild!

Good luck!
Old 08-23-2011, 06:34 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks, I was hoping to do a little research on my own before consulting a company who is in the business.

Anyone else??
Old 08-23-2011, 07:21 PM
Registered

Received 1,821 Likes on 712 Posts

There was recently a couple of Formula O/B conversions for sale down here. (They convert everything down here)
I think they were s.fla craigslist. I'll post a link if I stumble on them again.
Old 08-23-2011, 10:52 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sell it and go find a nice 20+ Checkmate outboard and save yourself from another month in the bilge inhaling fiberglass.