reversion question, Gil Offshore SBC >

reversion question, Gil Offshore SBC

Notices

reversion question, Gil Offshore SBC

Old 08-21-2011, 05:18 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default reversion question, Gil Offshore SBC

I am looking at a set of Gil Offshore manifolds with the chrome tails, and am wondering where in the tails the water is dumped, is it further down than a standard riser? I'm running a GM hot cam, and was told by a friend with a similar cam in his boat that he is getting reversion with EMI Thunders with standard style risers, so looking for other brands to avoid it, and considering the Gil's. do the tails extend the water dump further away, or are they just "pretty"?
Old 08-21-2011, 07:56 PM
Registered

They won't work. Save yourself some trouble and sell them to me! Just kidding, I'm looking for a set too! Hopefully some one chimes in with real world experiance.
Old 08-21-2011, 09:59 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

He + you should have no problem with the EMI Thunder's I attached picture of. If he is reverting with those pictured, then something else is up like cam ? Cast short risers ? Timing ? Leaks ? or etc ? Yes, real world experience.

Last edited by SB; 08-21-2011 at 10:03 PM.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:20 AM
Registered

Default Sb...

SB, those are the chrome tails I was talking about, do they have longer water passages than the standard style riser? My friend was having problems with the standard style, and I was curious if these chrome tails are the solution. The Gil offshore's I'm looking at have these tails, and if it's going to eliminate reversion, and assuming the SBC Gil's will flow 450hp easily, then I'll go with them. Pretty sure his issue was with the riser and had nothing to do with the EMI manifold, from what I hear they are good, I just think the standard elbow style riser he's using is too short for the size cam he has.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:54 PM
Registered

does anyone have a set of these, or remember from having a set, where the water passages end in these chrome tails? just trying to get quick info so I don't miss this set for sale if I can use them. I'd go look at them myself, but they're about 2 hours away, so I'd like to know what I'm getting into first... any experience would be greatly appreciated!
Old 08-22-2011, 08:01 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

Right near the end. That's why the riser is longer.
Old 08-22-2011, 08:55 PM
Registered

Location: Omaha, Nebraska. Boat on the Mighty Mo! Longest river in the USA!
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

+2 I have pic of the ends, if you want me to post a pic I will.
I thought they would not pass enough water thru the passage so I hooked it up to a hose, full blast all water exited the end.

There are so many variables that go into reversion. Post your cam specs.

That pic shown is not the standard riser, the stardard ends about where the first joint is welded on.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:01 PM
Registered

thanks much! sounds like what I need... I think I am going to pick them up. here's another question someone may have experience with... the way my boat is set up, the power steering is right in the way of a typical thru-hull setup, and was thinking of exiting a little higher... I'm wondering if these tails could be cut shorter if necessary, to accomodate the height of the exit point (so the hose doesn't have to run horizontal or turn upward at all and pool/trap water) just curious, just in case it is an issue, won't know until I have them here and have the motor back in, just thinking ahead...
Old 08-22-2011, 09:05 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 1BIGJIM
+2 I have pic of the ends, if you want me to post a pic I will.
I thought they would not pass enough water thru the passage so I hooked it up to a hose, full blast all water exited the end.

There are so many variables that go into reversion. Post your cam specs.

That pic shown is not the standard riser, the stardard ends about where the first joint is welded on.
1bigjim,
thanks for the input... I was concerned that these tails might dump the water at the first weld joint, much like a standard riser, so I was thinking it might have the same potential for reversion, but if they dump at the end, I can't see how that could happen. if you see this post, consider my last post about cutting them, again, not sure if it will be necessary, just curious if it is a possibilty if need be.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:07 PM
Registered

Location: Omaha, Nebraska. Boat on the Mighty Mo! Longest river in the USA!
Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

If you cut them shorter you will have to find someone to weld the dams back in. Then polish them.. That is why I have pictures.

Here is another option for the Small Block
http://www.custommarine.com/headerap...topheaders.php

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.