496 FWC - Flush SW >

496 FWC - Flush SW

Notices

496 FWC - Flush SW

Old 08-23-2011, 07:46 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 496 FWC - Flush SW

Has anyone tried this or know any reason I should not try this. I like to flush the SW side of the cooling system after each use but I’m a lift were the water is generally pretty rough. I’ve been getting in my kayak and putting the muffs on the bravo 3’s. A real pain in the neck, really tuff at night.
What I’m thinking of doing is putting a “T “ in the 1-1/4 line coming out of the oil cooler going into the heat exchanger and hooking up a garden hose and let the water run up the exchanger and out the exhaust manifolds without running the engines.
I don’t think much water is going to back flush passed the oil cooler and pass the pump to the drives, but I’m more concerned about cleaning the manifolds and risers.
I read in another post that if you do this without running the engine you can pump water into the cylinders, I don’t know how that is possibly unless you have a bad manifold.
Anyone have any thoughts on this?
Old 08-23-2011, 09:22 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Wink

Merc makes a nice freshwater to SW flush kit for the 496 engine family. Talk to Bam Marine, Mark probably has them in stock at a nice cost.

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Old 08-23-2011, 01:32 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Raylar
Merc makes a nice freshwater to SW flush kit for the 496 engine family. Talk to Bam Marine, Mark probably has them in stock at a nice cost.

Best Regards,
Ray @ Raylar
Thank You
Old 08-23-2011, 03:46 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Just put a T in the line between the drive and the SWP. It's been covered here several times. I did this to my 496s and it works great. (Search '496 fresh water flush')
Old 08-24-2011, 07:50 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
Just put a T in the line between the drive and the SWP. It's been covered here several times. I did this to my 496s and it works great. (Search '496 fresh water flush')
I can't get at the incoming line from the drive without pulling the engines it's just to tight. That's why I was asking about doing it the way I posted.
Old 08-24-2011, 08:16 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

I pulled my water pump off, and was able to pull off the intermediate rigid hose right behind it. On my two engines, one came off easily, and one took a LOT of work to get off. It's only about 9" long. It does not go all the way to the transom assembly.

You may look into a pressurized flush system. There are a few vendors that sell them.

However, I can assure you that backflushing from the SWP back out through the drive is SUPER MONDO IMPORTANT. The transom assembly, drive, and all the other crap back there WILL build up with salt/calcium deposits.

That's why I HATE the system that Baja puts in, period. Sorry Baja owners. It only flushes forward. It does not flush backward; and it always gums up and clogs when a little debris comes through the cooling system. It's happened to several of my friends with Bajas.