OK, for you prop experts >

OK, for you prop experts

Notices

OK, for you prop experts

Old 08-27-2011, 05:36 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OK, for you prop experts

1990 23 Nova with a base 7.4L. Stock prop (probably came with boat when new) is a 23P Quicksilver (48 13704 A40 23P). It this equiv to a Mirage? Anyway, this prop revs about 4350 rpm and reaches about 49.6 mph (GPS). This prop does have the usual nicks and one chip and a small ding in one of the blades. Not sure it is the best representative sample of its type. I tried a 4 blade Powertech ELE4 (cheapo...$259 brand new) in 19P (recomended pitch from vendor) and this one maxes out at 4600 rpm at 48.7 mph. This is the best all around prop though...planing is near instantaneous, crusing is good and throttle response is great. Powertech also has an OFS4 at near $500...don't know what the diff is?...material...fancy machining. Makes no sense to me....maybe one of you guys/gals know. In other words, why pay more something that will do the same thing?

It seems that the Mirage Plus in 21P is the no brainer for best speed for this application but why? How does one know the Tempest or Laser II isn't the fastest/best prop. I've seen on another forum a boat about the same weight as mine had the best speed with a Tempest. Also, Stingray boats (that seem to be pretty fast) show speeds using the LaserII on Merc drives even on larger boats. I know these props have less blade area but they also have less drag...just like 3 blade to 4 blade...more drag on 4 blades = less speed generally. I guess that's where I am going. Without buying one of everything...how does one know which is best?
Old 08-27-2011, 08:03 PM
SB
Registered

Received 3,116 Likes on 1,403 Posts

If no one answers from experience, find and PM Kidnova. He knows these boats inside and out - from stock 330hp to ZZ502, to 557cid rip your face off power. LOL. Great guy too.
Old 08-28-2011, 10:26 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

My friends 1990 23' Nova with bone stock 365 HP 454 is runing 60 MPH . It's running a 23p Bravo1.
Old 08-28-2011, 10:54 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Bravo's are even pitched, so your friend may have a 24. I may be able to push a 22 (lowest pitch avail) but not sure.