Engine Rebuilt Nightmare >

Engine Rebuilt Nightmare

Notices

Engine Rebuilt Nightmare

Old 09-07-2011, 08:11 AM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by SB
So, it's fuel injected and performance mods have been done. You did not mention it, thus I'm begging to ask........did you have someone program the computer for your motor ?
I have been following his project. A well know builder up north did the build and he had somone else do the programing. This is going to get interesting
Old 09-07-2011, 08:12 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by TW720HVY
I also put on an IMCO neutral extension box with IMCO 2" shorty. Measured the distance from the keel to the prop shaft centerline and it is 4 7/8"
Is this a proven or tested setup with that hull?
Old 09-07-2011, 10:14 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave M
Good question, Baja's generally go fastest with bow lift and trimmed out, might not be carrying the bow enough. I think with the right prop, probably a 5 blade you can achieve this without going back to your original set-up but it will take some testing, Smitty
Old 09-07-2011, 12:13 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Who's dyno was it on?... Are you sure that's an accurate HP number running all accessories with wet exhaust?
Old 09-07-2011, 02:06 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Reggie Fountain
Definitely should be faster than that, message me your number & I will call you in the morning.
Reggie I will send you a PM, thanks!

Originally Posted by articfriends
Questions-was your 555 ecu re-programmed or did you switch everything over to mefi-4? If your motor was tuned at 45 psi at part throttle and 42 psi at wot, what were your afr's?? If you now have it set at 52 psi that is a good 10% richer than before, could be at 11.5-1 afr vs 12.5 on dyno at wot, not suggesting that you turn the press down and see what happens but it really sounds like your engine builder needs to ride in your boat with a 02 meter installed in your exhaust to see where you are at. Motors seem to richen up in the boat vs the dyno too, mine always has. I would expect to see you in the low 70's/high 60's depending on load. once you have afrs set right in the boat/fuel pressure right you then need to see where your at with the prop, a 26 might end up being too big, my 272 normally aspirated made 650 gross hp and it can only turn a 26 labbed 5400 at 75 mph or so, a 24 labbed might be in your future. Get your fuel correct and see where you are, Smitty
Thank you for the reply. They reprogrammed the original ecu, we did not switch anything over. On the dyno sheet there are two columns A/F Left and A/F Right could that possible be the Air Fuel reading? There isn't an AFR column, sorry for my ignorance and I have a a lot to learn.

Originally Posted by Keith Atlanta
Artic is right - 52 is way too rich. I have a 496/600 package and it was set at 47 on the dyno. This doesnt mean to set yours at 47 it just means you need an AFR to get it right.

What else changed during the engine swap?
I agree 52 is way too rich and it is not what I asked the shop doing the finally installation to set it at.

When you ask what else changed during the engine swap what exactly are you asking about?

Originally Posted by SB
So, it's fuel injected and performance mods have been done. You did not mention it, thus I'm begging to ask........did you have someone program the computer for your motor ?
Yes, it is fuel injected and yes the ecu was sent out for reprogramming. I just simply plugged it in.
Old 09-07-2011, 02:13 PM
Registered

I just did a repower myself....had a 496 and researched it quite a bit before selling it and going with brand new horses. I've heard good and very bad stories about trying to beef up the 496. It has cast internals and needs to be completely replaced to make any kind of difference with maintaining reliability. I've got the 25 OL(not the 26) and it's 150 lbs less...and my 496 mag(375 HP) pushed it to 63-65mph at 5000 rpm depending on temp. If you are turning a 26p B1 at 4900 rpm, you should be seeing 70 at least. I'm not a fan of the B1 as it creates azz lift instead of bow lift like the baja hulls require. The B1 is made for a heavier boat. My opinion is if you find the HP and start getting 75-80 mph out of this setup...the B1 will create some issues in handling vs going to a 3 blade Mirage. I'm turning a 27 M+ on my 25' but am also putting out 700+ HP.

Originally Posted by articfriends
Good question, Baja's generally go fastest with bow lift and trimmed out, might not be carrying the bow enough. I think with the right prop, probably a 5 blade you can achieve this without going back to your original set-up but it will take some testing, Smitty
Artic, i'm curious about your comment on a 5 blade prop? You think the 5 blade will help in bow lift? Wouldn't it be hard to turn that thing to any rpm's with this setup? If you're getting 560 HP....IMO it should be turning a 25 Mirage. BBlades can offer a more professional than mine.
Old 09-07-2011, 02:19 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by jeffswav
I have been following his project. A well know builder up north did the build and he had somone else do the programing. This is going to get interesting
I certainly did not start the thread to looking to start a war. In fact my palms are sweaty right now as I replay to everyone's questions!

Originally Posted by Dave M
Dave, I do not have an answer for you. This was with the prop shaft centered with the keel on the driveway. Kind of ball park. I also have a X-dim of 15.5" that is off the Performance Sheet from Fountain. But then there was the discussion of whether or not the transom angle moved the X-dim when it went back a foot off the transom. So, I am not 100% clear on this either.

Originally Posted by HaxbySpeed
Who's dyno was it on?... Are you sure that's an accurate HP number running all accessories with wet exhaust?
This was on the builders dyno and looking at the picture it was hooked up to a wet CMI exhaust system. The same exhaust that is on the boat right now. But with this being said I don't know if it was wet or dry. What I do have is 4 dyno sheets.

2 pulls @ 5200 RPM first 529HP then 532HP
2 pulls @ 5400 RPM first 537HP then 560HP

There is no notation of whether it is was dry or wet.

Last edited by TW720HVY; 09-07-2011 at 05:07 PM. Reason: Accurate X-Dim
Old 09-07-2011, 02:23 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by WildRooster
I just did a repower myself....had a 496 and researched it quite a bit before selling it and going with brand new horses. I've heard good and very bad stories about trying to beef up the 496. It has cast internals and needs to be completely replaced to make any kind of difference with maintaining reliability. I've got the 25 OL(not the 26) and it's 150 lbs less...and my 496 mag(375 HP) pushed it to 63-65mph at 5000 rpm depending on temp. If you are turning a 26p B1 at 4900 rpm, you should be seeing 70 at least. I'm not a fan of the B1 as it creates azz lift instead of bow lift like the baja hulls require. The B1 is made for a heavier boat. My opinion is if you find the HP and start getting 75-80 mph out of this setup...the B1 will create some issues in handling vs going to a 3 blade Mirage. I'm turning a 27 M+ on my 25' but am also putting out 700+ HP.
We built it from the crank out with all new internals and bearings. The crank and intake are still stock.
Old 09-07-2011, 02:53 PM
Registered

Received 743 Likes on 401 Posts

Stock intake? I would think that would be the first thing to scrap if your goal was 575HP.
Old 09-07-2011, 03:07 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
Stock intake? I would think that would be the first thing to scrap if your goal was 575HP.
It is on the scrap list.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.