Oil With Zinc >

Oil With Zinc

Notices

Oil With Zinc

Old 09-13-2011, 04:49 PM
GPM
Registered

Received 80 Likes on 58 Posts

I run synthetic in my truck, no clue whether it helps, can't imagine it hurts. I haven't lost a solid roller cam or lifter since Dave told me not to run synthetic in my motor.
Old 09-13-2011, 06:26 PM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Copied from MercuryRacing.com: IMPORTANT: The use of non-detergent oils, multi-viscosity oils (other than Quicksilver 25W-40 or a good quality 20W-40 or 20W-50), synthetic oils, low quality oils or oils that contain solid additives are specifically NOT recommended.

http://www.mercuryracing.com/techcor...qs.php#fuel_04
Old 09-13-2011, 06:45 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What I Use

Nothing better IMO.
http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/rd50.aspx

Thanks
Old 09-13-2011, 07:10 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have been using Shell Rotella T, seems to work well and its cheaper than synthetics, my motor is basically "stock" though, if I was running a "serious" motor I would probably run synthetic, we ran it in drag cars and my Pro Street car and it worked very well. I have been told NOT to run it when breaking in a motor, or in serious nitrous applications.

Michael
Old 09-14-2011, 07:38 AM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by thirdchildhood
Copied from MercuryRacing.com: IMPORTANT: The use of non-detergent oils, multi-viscosity oils (other than Quicksilver 25W-40 or a good quality 20W-40 or 20W-50), synthetic oils, low quality oils or oils that contain solid additives are specifically NOT recommended.

http://www.mercuryracing.com/techcor...qs.php#fuel_04
And yet...
http://www.mercurypartsexpress.com/u...il-p29110.html
Old 09-14-2011, 07:43 AM
Registered

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by 07DominatorSS
These are all good choices, but for those on a budget, this is a good high Zinc oil.

http://www.amsoil.com/storefront/ame.aspx

As for the high zinc oils quandary, the addition of zinc helps in high pressure metal to metal contact friction reduction. Whether it's flat tappet lifters, or the crankshaft. Zinc has been removed from modern oil grades to increase the life of catalytic convertors. Anyone who would tell you not to run a synthetic oil doesn't know the whole picture (PC for uneducated). As with anything you need the right product for your application. Amsoil has certainly been the synthetic leader since 1972. My engine builder sells Brad Penn, but he only sells it because he makes better margin on it verses Amsoil. Brad Penn used to be Kendall, I don't know how many of you are real familiar with Kendall GT racing oil. I tried it in my nitrous Trans-Am. The oil broke down so bad I took it out after 1000 miles and gave the rest of the case away. I gave my engine builder Amsoil engine assembly lube and break in oil, no Brad Penn in my motor. Amsoil is also made in the US.
Old 09-14-2011, 07:49 AM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
Crazy, isn't it? That's why there is no simple answer to an oil question!
Old 09-14-2011, 08:03 AM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by thirdchildhood
Crazy, isn't it? That's why there is no simple answer to an oil question!
All I can tell you is I have used Mobil 1 15W50 in 4 different marine engines, totaling close to 1,000 hours, since 1998 with zero oil-related engine issues.
Old 09-14-2011, 11:57 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by minxguy
hondahp4, I am guessing by your board name that you either ride a motorycle, really like oil, or both.

FWIW, Honda HP4 and other lubes by Honda are (at least they were a while back) blended and packed by Idemitsu Lubricants America Corp. They were called Apollo-American before changing to their corporate owners whose name is Idemitsu Kosan Co., LTD.

You may want to change your board name, oil brand, or both.

Ken
it really has nothing to do with honda or motorcycle oil. its kind of a play on words that a bunch of buddies of mine have coined over the years. although now that you point it out, it does seem a bit hypocritical at first glance.