Engine decisions >

Engine decisions

Notices

Engine decisions

Old 09-30-2011, 07:40 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine decisions

Heres my dilemma. I have a choice between 3 motors for my 1987 230 scorpion (3500 lbs) ltd with fiberglass swim platform, bennet tabs and thru hulls. It originally came with a omc 260 and a cobra outdrive. Would run about 48 mph in stock trim. My goal is to get as close to 60 mph as I can and still have some fuel economy.

Motor 1- Vortec 350/340-350hp. ported vortecs decked block to obtain .040 squish, lt4 hot cam, Heads set up to match cam, air gap intake, holley carb, Glm exh man. w/ thru hulls.

Motor 2- I have a fresh 454 330 hp (has peanut port heads)which I can put in with stock merc exh man., air gap intake, holley carb, and thru hulls

Motor 3- fresh 454 estimated 400-420 hp ported peanut port heads, cammed (not sure of specs at this moment) stock merc exh man., air gap intake, holley carb, and thru hulls

My concern with going with a bbc is weight and fuel. I know the bbc is going to add a couple hundred to the back end is the power to weight ratio going to overcome or will I be worse off ( especially with the fiberglass swim platform, I don't want it drag in the water like anchor). I have read of guys with these boats with merc 330 bbc and running 60 in stock trim. Is that truth or fiction.

the kid in me is leaning toward one of the 454's but the realist is wondering about the weight, fuel and getting up onto plane quickly. We use the boat quite a bit at least 2-3 times a week.

The bbc's are ready to go and would be cheaper for me drop in, all I have to purchase is a flywheel. The sbc I have to have the short block done and purchase the exhaust.

Any input that would help my confusion would be great. I have never had a big block boat so I don't know what to expect with one
Old 09-30-2011, 11:00 AM
Registered

A couple of years ago I got a 25 footer (PowerQuest) with a BBC. I won't go back - the torque can't be beat, and you won't be dragging your butt at all (provided your drive can take the 450+ ft lbs even the 330 will produce). With the right drive and prop, there is no reason a 330 shouldn't push your 23' to close to 60, my 25' runs 57. Also, my fuel economy isn't that different than anyother boat I've had - provided I'm not running WOT.

Last edited by apollard; 09-30-2011 at 11:03 AM.
Old 09-30-2011, 11:10 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Agree. Weight should be no concern at all in that boat.
Old 09-30-2011, 11:11 AM
Registered

Received 159 Likes on 78 Posts
Smile

I'd go with the big block, you will have a better cruise speed. The weight difference is not that much. Are both the 454's stock or is one of them a built engine. The 454 420's had better overall components then the 330 engines. Just my 2 cents, I am sure everyone will chime in. Either way, good luck and take it easy on the drive, no huge hole shots.
Old 09-30-2011, 11:38 AM
Registered

Both of the 454's are stock 0 hrs on the short blocks. Both were 330 hp motors. One has ported peanut port heads with I believe 2.19/1.88 vlvs and a mild cam I will have to find the specs. The other is a stock 330 hp motor and also has 0 hrs.