Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Bow lift through use of skeguard??????? >

Bow lift through use of skeguard???????

Notices

Bow lift through use of skeguard???????

Old 10-09-2011, 08:42 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bow lift through use of skeguard???????

Ok, here is my thought, and I am curious if anyone has tried this. I aquired a skeguard on a boat that I immediately took off because I did not like the look. However, I have noticed that this particular model has a triangular "foil" (wing)on the bottom of it. The foil is not very big, maybe 1 inch across at the rear.

I'm wondering if installing this skeguard would ultimately give me some bow lift due to the bottom wing. (Shouldn't it pull the drive down, thus lifting the bow?) Also, what if the wing was a little bigger??

Surely someone has done the testing. Thanks in advance as I am sure I will get some response on this one.

Flying Tomato FT
Old 10-10-2011, 02:14 AM
Charter Member #394
Charter Member

Received 36 Likes on 17 Posts

I will be testing this same thing on Wednesday; will post on Thursday. Never mind why I needed a Skeg Guard in the first place
Old 10-11-2011, 07:18 PM
Registered

It would need to be alot bigger and then it would be like those plastic ones you see at Wally world. On a slow boat they can be a cheap way of helping with planing etc. Things that are done through prop tuning on hp boats.
Old 10-13-2011, 12:31 AM
Charter Member #394
Charter Member

"I will be testing this same thing on Wednesday; will post on Thursday"

The little plate on the bottom of the Skeguard does enhance the trim just a bit, both down and up. My Avanti is extremely trim sensitive, so the effect will not be much on most boats. I am glad I took the time to get the skeg on so the lower plate is exactly parallel to the propshaft. I also faired the skeguard in with epoxy to the drive's nose cone and case. Having a full sized skeg sure helps with the low speed handling and it very nearly eliminated the deceleration-induced boat torque while coming off plane (this is why I tried the skeguard repair, my other drive with a good skeg has no bad traits). The boat may have lost one MPH, overall I am happy.
Old 10-13-2011, 01:39 PM
Registered

Default more bow lift??

Well, I put the skeguard back on yesterday and went for a ride.
The boat feels like it has more bow lift. It is not a huge difference but I believe it helps!! The boat definately gets light now and I replicated my best speed ever of 83.3 gps. Without the skeguard I could never get the bow up and top speed was 79-80.
Old 10-13-2011, 07:00 PM
Charter Member #394
Charter Member

Cool; seems like that little bit of bow lift is all your boat needed.

Now that you know you like it, you might want to fair it in to the drive; this should cut down on drag and clean up the flow to the prop.

Last edited by SFOcean; 10-13-2011 at 07:02 PM.