A/F Devices Monitoring Devices >

A/F Devices Monitoring Devices

Notices

A/F Devices Monitoring Devices

Old 10-16-2011, 11:48 AM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 3 Posts
Default A/F Devices Monitoring Devices

What do you think of this combination for A/F Monitoring??

Exhaust bung
http://wagsengineering.com/products/...sensor-spacer/

with this as a gauge

A/F meter
http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/products/MTXL.php

Thanks
Old 10-16-2011, 06:48 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm getting ready to install that gauge in mine....hope works well...have lightning headers so have to weld a bung in for me...
Old 10-16-2011, 08:15 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The innovate stuff is great - I use an LM1 for all my tuning, and have had no issues with it. A guy at work has the meter you linked and it works great also.

Never used the Wags adapter, but several folks on here have and it is reported to be a quality piece - Wags is also a member.
Old 10-16-2011, 09:43 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would hope for a little more counter bore on the sensor installation to get it into the exhaust stream.

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/g...tallation.html

Jeff
Old 10-16-2011, 10:42 PM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Gauge Placement?

Originally Posted by ezstriper
I'm getting ready to install that gauge in mine....hope works well...have lightning headers so have to weld a bung in for me...
Have you decided were to mount the gauge? Not sure how long the cable from the gauge to sensor is? Think it is around 4' or so.
Old 10-16-2011, 10:52 PM
Registered

Received 110 Likes on 82 Posts

I have these exact two units in my set up. They work great. The only item you might want to add is the Innovate Heat Sink Bung Extender.

http://www.innovatemotorsports.com/x...cat=250&page=2

It will protect the sensor more from any potential reversion issue if you run a stout cam.

I ran without the bung extender for a good 20-25 hours until I had the motor do a slight hiccup coming down to idle in cold water. I think the O2 sensor may have seen some water as it (the sensor) started acting up after that and finally failed. New sensor and the bung extender have worked great since then.

There are two considerations concerning the bung extender. There is one port on the extender that must be oriented correctly in the exhaust stream. To get that to happen you need a super thin washer or shims to get it set right. Finding those shims is next to impossible. I ended up milling down a washer or lock ring to the required thickness. Even then it marginally extends adequately into the exhaust stream due to the thickness of the O2 spacer.

In spite if my concerns it appears to be working correctly as my AFR readings both before and after the spacer installation were the same.

Regarding the MTXL unit it is a really nice piece. Super easy to calibrate and has worked great. I've got it mounted near the dash area where I can monitor it when running. It is invaluable to watch the AFRs.
Old 10-16-2011, 10:58 PM
Registered

Received 110 Likes on 82 Posts

Have you decided were to mount the gauge? Not sure how long the cable from the gauge to sensor is? Think it is around 4' or so.
Regarding gauge mounting location see my previous post. I actually have it in the gunwale just aft of the throttle (21' boat). I didn't have a good spot on the dash but am considering removing the fuel gauge as that thing is useless.

The total cable length is 10 ft. 8 ft for the cable to the gauge and a 2 ft cable from the wide band sensor which then connects to the 8 ft. gauge cable. You can also get an 18 ft cable for an additional cost. I would need that to get to my dash.
Old 10-18-2011, 07:11 PM
Registered
Gold Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Does a sensor need to be installed on each exhaust manifold or just on one side to get a reading? Also, how thick is that adapter plate and is it a pain to get your exhaust lined back up with the tips and y pipe for silent choice? If running A sensor on each side do you need two gauges or can you run them to one gauge for an accurate reading?
Old 10-18-2011, 08:32 PM
Registered

Received 1,206 Likes on 579 Posts

Originally Posted by 87MagnumII
Does a sensor need to be installed on each exhaust manifold or just on one side to get a reading? Also, how thick is that adapter plate and is it a pain to get your exhaust lined back up with the tips and y pipe for silent choice? If running A sensor on each side do you need two gauges or can you run them to one gauge for an accurate reading?
You need 1 gauge for each manifold/O2 sensor. I use an Innovate LM1 hand held. I have 1 O2 sensor and I just tune with it. I check all 4 manifolds. Once it's tuned I might check it once a year. I have thought about getting a couple dash mounted gauges to monitor AFR.
Old 10-19-2011, 08:26 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run LM2 one sensor to each engine. 18ft cables head unit mounted to dash with high strength Velcro, hard wired. It is the only way to tune an engine. The data log is great feature among many others. A renowned engine builder once told me use wide-band o2 and make your boat your dyno and I never looked back.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.