Torque wrench

Notices

Torque wrench

Old 10-18-2011, 05:26 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts
Default Torque wrench

Looking for recommendations on a quality, reasonably priced torque wrench?

I need to replace my antique craftsman.
Old 10-18-2011, 05:56 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 133 Likes on 82 Posts

NONE are exactly right, and you can spend mega bucks on them. If you use one every day, then I advise a high end unit because they will maintain their accuracy better through constant usage.

If you're on a budget, then I recommend the following:

Go to Harbor Freight and buy their micrometer-style torque wrench. Check it and make sure the detents on the twist sleeve are positive, and that it moves through the range freely since sample to sample can vary (and if not, then swap it for another).

Take it to a calibration service and have them calibrate it for $15. If you have a large airport nearby, then check with the aircraft mechanics in the area and find out where the nearest calibration service is - there is always one close to an area that does a lot of aircraft work.

You're good to go.
I own about ten torque wrenches and have run through even more over the years. The Harbor Freight torque wrenches have been surprisingly close to the settings stamped on them.

MC
Old 10-18-2011, 06:03 PM
Registered

Received 87 Likes on 49 Posts

sk tools has some good ones and are fairly priced,but if u use everyday SNAPON
Old 10-18-2011, 06:18 PM
Registered

Received 168 Likes on 106 Posts

Originally Posted by Dave M
I need to replace my antique craftsman.
Dave,
You might be surprised at how accurate your old Craftsman one still is, especially if it is all metal. Unless of course it is actually broken.

I have 4 Snap On ones at the shop, but have an ancient (1960's) Proto at home that I check every once in a while against the Snap On ones and it is always the same.

I hate to say it but I would stay away from the cheapo ones. Sanp On is expensive but it should be a one time purchase.

I dont know of anyone in our area that can calibrate them. I had a buddy that worked on the base at Indian Head and they had a calibration lab, but it was closed a bunch of years ago I give mine to my Snap On rep and he sends them off to have checked.

By the way, you really should have at least two of them if you are doing much engine work. A 3/8" drive for up to around 80 lbft and a 1/2" drive for larger stuff. Torque wrenches are not real accurate at the far ends of thier ranges.

HTH,

Bill Koustenis
Advanced Automotive Machine
Waldorf Md
Old 10-18-2011, 06:30 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

Thanks Guys. It will see light use, like when I put a drive on, external engine components, stuff like that.

The craftman one I have looks similar to this...But maybe it's older brother.

http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CHEQ8wIwAg#
Old 10-18-2011, 06:59 PM
Registered

Received 168 Likes on 106 Posts

Dave,
One thing that is great about that type of torque wrench is that they never go out of calibration You can tweak the pointer a little to get it back to zero if you need to and it will always be correct. They are a little tricky to use but actually very accurate.
Old 10-18-2011, 07:37 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default If It's A Snap-On

Typically, the only reason a Snappy would fall out of cal is if it's dropped hard and/or stored while "left on".

If it's the screw handle type, back it off when you're done. Back it off if it's sitting for more than 10 minutes like when you eat lunch...

If it's the dial click type, just un-click it after use.

There is also an adapter you can buy to put two wrenches together to check consistency. You can also get a torqometer.

BTW, it pains me to say this but Snappy don't manufacture theirs. Depending on type and vintage, it's either made by Precision or CDI. CDI SUCKED as far as I'm concerned. And CDI was a limited issue due to problems between the years 2001 - 2003 give or take. I don't know the exact period but I know it was a pita.

You can tell the difference between them if you know what you're looking at.
Old 10-19-2011, 09:15 AM
Gold Member

i have had a proto wrench for about 20+years.a very good tool maker.
Old 10-19-2011, 09:30 AM

Snap-on Tech has a very nice digital model

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Snap-Tech2FR...item27bf34bfd3
Old 10-19-2011, 10:09 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

I love my Snap On Tech wrenches. I have both the 1/2 and 3/8. I also have Snap On click types in 3/8 and 2 more 1/2" wrenches. My 1/2" wrenches see a ton of use. I send them off with my Snap On guy every 6 months or so to be calibrated. I don't want to take a chance that it is off. That's why I have a back up in both 1/2" and 3/8"/
With that being said, most rod bolts now use the stretch method. It takes torque readings and friction out of the equation. It is by far the most accurate way to torque a rod bolt. However, that can't be used on a bolt that goes into a blind hole.
Bottom line is that you can buy an inexpensive wrench and it may or may not be accurate. If you buy a good wrench, you know what you are getting. I don't think you can really go wrong with a Craftsman. Good wrench for a good price.
Eddie

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.