Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
Sidemount whipple question >

Sidemount whipple question

Notices

Sidemount whipple question

Old 10-25-2011, 10:04 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That side mount will really wake up the fever at your elevation. Let Eddie take care of your issues, as there is a lot more that should be done, than to just bolt it on and reprogram the ECU.
Old 10-25-2011, 11:29 PM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonSmith
My sidemounts made my 29 haul a$$! My best advice is to ditch the stock Mercruiser throttle body & put on a real throttle body if you are looking to make power.
Like this one

This is in a 25 Baja Outlaw. It has a 2000 cfm throttle body, 2-80lb injectors under the throttle body, Mefi 4B and custom harness, extrude honed intake, quite a few fuel rail mods, etc. The only internal mods are a mild cam upgrade and just some good parts in the heads (no HP gain, just a good idea).

Here is a link to the dyno pulls

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZcBU7vclYU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wubuyaEcTBc&feature

Enjoy,
Eddie
Attached Thumbnails Sidemount whipple question-dsc02082-large-.jpg   Sidemount whipple question-dsc02083-large-.jpg   Sidemount whipple question-dsc02084-large-.jpg  

Sidemount whipple question-dsc02085-large-.jpg  
Old 10-26-2011, 06:44 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

i have 2 complete sidemounts with 135 hours for sale pm me if any one is interested
Old 10-30-2011, 12:45 PM
Registered

Cool sidemounts

i have a villian3 with 454 mag id LOVE to have 1 of those for,,,,runs 73 right now with 25 tempest,what is a better prop an what kind of speen you think i get with the procharger?
thanks
Old 10-31-2011, 09:54 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

So I just picked up the whipple today from Reddaway, got it home and unpacked it. Seems complete minus alot of little nuts and bolts etc..... This one is set up for serpentine and my motor uses v-belts. Does anyone have a v-belt crank pulley for sale or swap? Or is it very hard to switch over to a serpentine setup?
Does whipple still sell parts and pieces for the old 2.3 sidemounts?
I'm getting excited to put this baby on and do the necessary mods to maximize H.P. out of the 502!!!
Speaking of which......... I got the engine torn down, and was surprised to see that even though I pulled 15 qts of water out of the bottom end, everything looks to be in really good condition! no rust or pitting on cam, crank, lifters, etc.... just a little surface rust on head chambers which will come right off, and a little discoloration on a couple of the cylinder walls. Pretty sure they will hone out, but I'll let the machine shop tell me for sure. I think the engine had been fairly freshly rebuilt, as I can still see hash marks on the bores. For an engine with quite a few hours, I was surprised that is was still standard bore!!( unless rebuild included new engine?) I'm hoping to get lucky and just have to hone, re-ring and get new bearings and gaskets before putting the whipple on.
Just to summarize my intentions...........
rebuild 502 mostly stock, match port heads and intake, put in fairly agressive cam to compliment cmi headers(that it came with), modify fuel rail, get new Mefi4 and harness(replace my Mefi1) get new throttle body, and hopefully dyno at around 700-725hp and 775+ torque. (tuned by one of the best)
Here in colorado should put me near the top of the food chain!
I'm not sure what I will need to do prop wise, I have Hydromotive 22,25, and 28 four blades that I will test on and then probably talk with CEP about one of their custom 4 blades.
Ultimate goal is 80+ mph out of the 27 single step fountain here at 5200ft which should put me in the 90s at sea level.

Thanks for all your input, and if you have suggestions for me, please keep them coming.
Old 10-31-2011, 10:07 PM
Registered

Whipple no longer has any parts for these. Is your pulley a single pulley or a multi-piece pulley? You will probably just have to get a vee pulley and a lower supercharger pulley and make it line up. It may take a spacer or require some machining to do, but it shouldn't be that hard. I believe I have some 3 groove accessory pulleys that will accept a supercharger pulley. I will check and get back to you.
Be sure to use some good valves in the heads. You can't go wrong with Manley's. Be sure to get Inconel exhaust valves.
You shouldn't have a problem reaching your power goal.
Eddie
Old 11-01-2011, 12:00 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Thanks Eddie, the pulley is one piece and it is HUGE! Let me know what you have. Most of the pieces that are missing are just general hardware type items and maybe some piggyback connectors that I probably wont need anyway when we switch to the new ECU and harness right?
Old 11-01-2011, 07:37 AM
Registered

I will check in a little while on the pulley. You are correct in that you will not need the harness adapters with the Mefi 4.
Eddie
Old 11-01-2011, 06:02 PM
Registered

High&Dry, it sounds like you are probably ok on the bottom end. A couple things since you have it apart. Who ever is doing your machine work, have the valve seats ground wider (like .050) than normal auto valve seats, and have the valve guides honed for more clearance. Eddie can probably chime in, but I think my guides were set at .0015. This will help remove extra heat from the exhaust valves to avoid problems. I would use either a Felpro or Cometic head gasket also. With a bigger cam, I'm pretty sure you won't have a problem hitting 80 in Denver, but you won't pick up much more at lower elevations. You will definitely like the added power and that fever will like it. I run a 30 Bravo, but I ran a 28 Bravo for years and hit the rev limiter sometimes. If you get a custom prop from CEP, I would be interested to see how it works compared to the Bravo.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:57 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Fuel Controls

Originally Posted by Young Performance
Like this one

This is in a 25 Baja Outlaw. It has a 2000 cfm throttle body, 2-80lb injectors under the throttle body, Mefi 4B and custom harness, extrude honed intake, quite a few fuel rail mods, etc. The only internal mods are a mild cam upgrade and just some good parts in the heads (no HP gain, just a good idea).

Here is a link to the dyno pulls

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bZcBU7vclYU
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wubuyaEcTBc&feature

Enjoy,
Eddie

Can you control extra injectors with a MEFI 3 or does it need to be a MEFI 4B? The inlet injectors sound like a good idea to cool and lubricate the rotors but control is the question.

Thanks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.