Formula 292 SR-1 engine questions >

Formula 292 SR-1 engine questions

Notices

Formula 292 SR-1 engine questions

Old 10-25-2011, 09:40 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts
Default Formula 292 SR-1 engine questions

I'm in the process of building up a couple of 454 mag engines. What I would like to know is who out there with either 292's or 311's got for speed and what hp. It seems that some boats hit a wall and no matter what you do won't really go much faster. So here is what I'm thinking about.

Both engines are going to be using the stock crank, rods, and pistons. They are fairly low hour engines and from what I can see are fine, but I am going to have the assemblies balanced. So my options are mostly heads and valvetrain.

Option 1- Use the stock rec port heads, run a dart single plane intake and holley HP carb. Roller cam from marine kinetics, Gil Exhaust with through the transom, dry to the tip risers.

Option 2- Use AFR 265 oval port heads, weiand stealth intake, Holley HP carb, roller marine kinetics cam, and same exhaust as above.

I'm sure the AFR engine will make more power but it will certainly cost more. However I have the heads and intake and carb from an engine that I build last year, so would have to buy one set of new heads. I know I can get 500 out of each engine. The afr engine making more than that and also having better throttle response. The AFR engine would also have slightly higher compression do to the 112 cc chambers and be lighter with aluminum heads.

Either way, I'd like to get to 75 mph, 80 would be fun as well but I really don't want to spend the money to build the AFR engine if the boat won't handle that speed well. From what I've read 415hp 502 boats top out around 72-73 mph. What I would like to know who has more power? So as always looking for input!
Old 10-25-2011, 10:23 AM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

My buddy has a '96 303 SR-1 with a set of Baker 465HP 454's that runs 75MPH GPS with a set of labbed 26" Bravo I's.
Old 10-25-2011, 05:03 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 138 Likes on 83 Posts

1991 F311SR-1 502 mags (410hp). 1.36:1 Bravos.
23p Mirage (old style). 73 mph at 5050 rpm.