Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > General Q & A
JL 7.7 or 6.5 >

JL 7.7 or 6.5

Notices

JL 7.7 or 6.5

Old 12-23-2011, 02:08 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question since you are all on the subject. Going to run 2 amps. One for subs and one for speakers. Do you power both amps off of one battery or do you split them between two??
Old 12-23-2011, 05:52 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Ryan8886
I run four JL 6.5's and one 10" sub in mine. I power all off a Memphis Belle 5-channel amp with a Clarion head unit. The JL's have a nice clean sound. The mid's would be better on the 7's but like someone said earlier...if you're running a sub you likely won't notice the difference. Been very happy with the sound. Not overly bright on the high end. The sub is excellent. Handles sub-bass very well. Better if you like the nice deep warm sounds of bass over the kicking kind...but handles that well too, giving a nice solid thump for only being a 10 incher.

Just make sure you run a solid amp with good cables. Remember...volume isn't what blows speakers...crappy amp that clips as you approach its limits does.
Ryan,

What kind of power is that amp putting out? That the speaker setup i'm currently looking at.
Old 12-23-2011, 08:59 AM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by ruepappy
Question since you are all on the subject. Going to run 2 amps. One for subs and one for speakers. Do you power both amps off of one battery or do you split them between two??

Same.

How many batteries do you have total?
My amps actually go to a bank of 2 house batteries. Leaves my 3rd battery for that important stuff, like starting the motors.
Old 12-23-2011, 11:49 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

I use the same battery for my 2 PDX amps.
Old 12-24-2011, 06:59 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't run a dedicated battery for audio...just run off my two switched batteries. However I don't do a lot of sandbar time with heavy power usage. If you're gonna be party-barging a lot, I'd recommend a dedicated battery.

Originally Posted by vettex1
Ryan,

What kind of power is that amp putting out? That the speaker setup i'm currently looking at.
Here's a link to it. Looks like it's out of production, however Memphis has a new more powerful version. No experience with the newer one though.

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...16-MAD600.html
Old 12-26-2011, 06:41 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm running two pairs of 7.7s and 2 FS110s (enclosed W5 subs). You'll definately want the subs regardless of 7.7s or 6.5s. The 7.7s are definately fuller sounding and can really handle the power.
Focal 6.5s in the CVXs are pretty full sounding for 6.5s and Waves and Wheels makes white marine grills for them. Just a thought.
I'd go for the JL7.7s. You'll like the way you sound, I guarantee it.