Notices

Tow vehecle

Old 11-02-2011, 11:14 AM
Registered

Received 159 Likes on 78 Posts

"Negative GhostRider"

Insurance won't cover you. This has been discussed to death in the Towing Section, do a search. Way to many bad stories.
Old 11-02-2011, 11:33 AM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

I would not do it! I had to make an emergency tow this past weekend with an 08 1500 4x4 chevy. It did okay, but I knew my stopping distance would have been huge. We were on rural roads, and I kept my speed down and planned ahead. Not a good tow rig for that much weight on a regular basis. Just doesn't like it. The little 5.3 was working it's guts out.
Old 11-02-2011, 12:14 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No way. Some mfg's give their half-tons tow ratings over 8,000 lb, and it's just scary. No matter what the marketing is, get at least a 2500 hd for towing 9-12k, and 3500 for anything more.

They can't hold the tongue weight, and the hitch/frame mounts aren't intended for a 12k load. A half ton might pull 9-10k ok using a fifth wheel, but not on a drawbar.

Imagine trailer brakes failing down a hill and all you have left is your little sissy half ton brakes and a 5 liter gas motor for engine braking...

Don't confuse the ability of a truck to be hitched up to and move a load with actually being able to safely "tow" it at highway speeds.
Old 11-02-2011, 12:37 PM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by tcelano
Imagine trailer brakes failing down a hill and all you have left is your little sissy half ton brakes and a 5 liter gas motor for engine braking...
Had this happen to me once with "only" a 8K tow. No fun. Rotors and pads were instantly turned to junk. Everything was so hot I was afraid it melted the caliper piston seals.
Old 11-03-2011, 10:02 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
In a word: hellfrickinno
Agreed! It's a question that should never have been asked.
Old 11-03-2011, 07:58 PM
Registered

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

If I may answer your question with a question- Haven't you seen the thread RIP Sonic??
Old 11-03-2011, 11:01 PM
Registered

Default You'll as a minimum need a 3/4 to tow safe.

Originally Posted by kragar
My 25 OL wasn't noticable on the back of the truck. Boat is gone and now deciding on next boat. Not crazy about buying a truck as well. I see all kinds of 30 Outlaws being towed by regular cab trucks and toyotas.
That does not make it a good idea and your 25 was only a little more than half what the 33 will be. Your insurrance won't like it either if anything happens. You'll at the very least need a 3/4 ton truck with a capacity of 12000 lbs. There are a few ½ ton trucks rated @ 10500 like the GMC 1500 ext. cab with the 6.2, but even that will be stretching it. Accelerating with a ½ ton yes, stopping, not safe in a million years. With your 25 you where a good portion under your truck's limit. If you want the same feeling of confidence, you'll need a truck with the same safety margin. A diesel 1 ton SRW will be the correct choice and a dually is nice but not a must.

Just a few numbers.

A 25OL is 4750 lbs. dry + 96 gal. 592 lbs. + battery and stuff 50-75 lbs. + trailer at least 1400 lbs. = 6800 lbs.

A 33OL is 7500 lbs. dry + 185 gal. 1142 lbs. + batteries, some water in the 9 gal. tank and stuff 150 lbs. + trailer at least 2300 lbs. if a twin axel = 11092 lbs.

It'll most likely be even more. I've never seen a dry boat that was lighter than the manufacture claimed.

Last edited by A.O. Razor; 11-03-2011 at 11:10 PM.
Old 11-03-2011, 11:32 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think everyone who commented summed it up pretty well, another thing to think about is I would not want to get pulled over by the DOT the ticket & tow would probably cover a couple insurance payments for boat & truck.
Old 11-04-2011, 03:11 AM
Registered

My parents have "RV'd" for years, so, I grew up around towing, and I agree with what some others have posted, some of the stuff you see going down the highway is actually terrifying, just because you can "move" a 28ft cabin trailer [or boat] with your 20 year old S-10, doesn't mean you can haul [or stop!] it safely.

We are only an hour or so apart and I boat near you, and in the summer when the "blitzes" are on by the OPP they pull a lot of trailers/boats over to check both the truck and trailer, kinda suck if you got stopped on a Friday of a long weekend and had your stuff impounded for the entire weekend, plus the tickets, AND you will have to upgrade your tow vehicle before you tow again anyway.

I moved my 24ft outlaw with an 02 1500HD 4x4, the boat was on a tandem axle aluminum trailer, it was TERRIFYING when a stop light would change to "yellow" and I had to try and stop quickly before the intersection. This truck was used by my father to tow his 5th wheel RV and was TOTALLY set up for towing. I installed brakes on both axles and now I dont mind towing, but, I would never pull a 33ft boat with it, and it has the 6.0L motor and all the HD options.

Forget the dually, go for broke and get a F-550 or F-650 and never have to worry about what your gonna buy/tow again. [-:

Michael
Old 11-04-2011, 11:03 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by n20michael
My parents have "RV'd" for years, so, I grew up around towing, and I agree with what some others have posted, some of the stuff you see going down the highway is actually terrifying, just because you can "move" a 28ft cabin trailer [or boat] with your 20 year old S-10, doesn't mean you can haul [or stop!] it safely.

We are only an hour or so apart and I boat near you, and in the summer when the "blitzes" are on by the OPP they pull a lot of trailers/boats over to check both the truck and trailer, kinda suck if you got stopped on a Friday of a long weekend and had your stuff impounded for the entire weekend, plus the tickets, AND you will have to upgrade your tow vehicle before you tow again anyway.

I moved my 24ft outlaw with an 02 1500HD 4x4, the boat was on a tandem axle aluminum trailer, it was TERRIFYING when a stop light would change to "yellow" and I had to try and stop quickly before the intersection. This truck was used by my father to tow his 5th wheel RV and was TOTALLY set up for towing. I installed brakes on both axles and now I dont mind towing, but, I would never pull a 33ft boat with it, and it has the 6.0L motor and all the HD options.

Forget the dually, go for broke and get a F-550 or F-650 and never have to worry about what your gonna buy/tow again. [-:

Michael
Why forget the dually 1 ton? A GMC 3500HD DRW will tow 17000 ball and 21500 5th. wheel. The 550's and 650's are big azz trucks and although nice, overkill for a 33OL.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.